Modern History Sourcebook:
Robespierre: On The Use of Terror
[Note: Reading Guides are meant as review aids for a particular
text. They do indicate some of the questions a text raises.]
Answer the questions below.
Find your information from the sourcebook itself, or from your
You may use other sources, but indicate what they are is this
is the basis of submitted class work.
Maximilien Robespierre: The Use of Terror
1. Who was Robespierre? What was his political position? Who was
he speaking to? What genre of literature is this?
2. How does what Robespierre says relate to the thoughts of philosophes like Rousseau? Give the specific points.
3. What are the aims of the Revolution for Robespierre?
4. What is totalitarian about his ideas? Define "totalitarian".
5. Which of his ideas are nationalistic? What does "nationalistic"
6. Why does Robespierre think terror is virtuous?
Know the Meanings of these phrases/words