CLAIR - Language, Culture, & Equity Strand
The strand of Language, Culture, and Equity (LCE) prepares leaders in educational research and action-oriented practice who have an expansive understanding of the cultural, language, political, and social structures that impact equity and excellence in education. Students in this strand analyze, critique, and contribute to the knowledge base needed to advance educational achievement for all students.
LCE students explore issues of advocacy and transformation in education, including the achievement/opportunity gap, building bridges across diverse communities, and developing multilingual and multicultural competencies. The strand aims to develop education professionals whose work is relevant and strategic in the creation of learning opportunities for students across different cultural, social, linguistic, economic, and political contexts.
Admissions Pre requisites
Students in the Language, Culture, and Equity specialization must provide evidence of at least one course in Language; Language Development; Language Teaching; Multilingualism; Multiculturalism; Cultural Diversity; Anti-Bias Curriculum; or Culturally Relevant Instruction; or experience in work; voluntary work; field work; internship; study abroad experience exposing candidates to linguistically, economically, culturally diverse communities.
Students who specialize in LCE will be required to take the following:
Contemporary Learning Core
- Sociopolitical Dimensions of Education (3 credits)
- Internship in Contemporary Learning (1-3 credits)
Read more about the Research Core
Specialization Core (6 credits)
- Multicultural Competence & Tools of Awareness, Transformation, & Advocacy (required, 3 credits)
- Global Perspectives on Language, Equity, & Culture (required, 3 credits)
Cognates & Electives
- Urban Sociology & Education (3 credits)
- Leading in a Diverse Society (3 credits)
- Equitable Assessment in Multilingual & Multicultural Classrooms (3 credits)
- Multilingual Literacy: Exploring Literacy in Multiple Languages & Cultures (3 credits)
- Closing the Opportunity/Achievement Gap (3 credits)
(Minimum 6 credits from other areas of specialization)