Educational Leadership Programs
Accelerated Master's Program in Educational Leadership (A.M.P.E.L.)
: Prepares graduates for positions as school building leaders, such as principal, supervisor, department chair, assistant principal, etc..
: A.M.P.E.L. Cohort begins in July
: Lincoln Center & Westchester
Note: Westchester location contingent on sufficient enrollment.
This is an intensive one year master’s degree program consisting of intensive weekend courses (Friday afternoon/evening and all day Saturday) and full week Institutes (summer, etc). Students participate in a full-year, clinically-rich internship beginning Day 1 at candidate’s home school. Fordham’s Accelerated Masters Program was selected by the New York City Department of Education’s Leadership Office to be part of their Pathways to Leadership preparation programs. Members of the AMPEL Cohort will have opportunities to network with the NYCDOE Leadership Office and other leadership candidates from other partner programs.
The program focuses on standards-based learning aligned with ISLLC/ELCC Leadership Standards and NYSED standards for School Leaders. Student learn through theory and practice with problem/project-based learning, case studies, data analysis, examination of current trends and priorities such instructional leadership and the common core standards, quality supervision and evaluation, simulations, readings, walk-throughs, internships and mentoring, etc.
- Have a minimum of two (2) years paid, full-time teaching/counseling experience;
- Be a full time teacher/counselor in an elementary or secondary school;
- Endorsement from current principal;
- Meet the general requirements for admission to graduate study in the Graduate School of Education;
- Demonstrate effective communication skills (written and oral);
Visit the Admissions section
for applications and general application requirements
- Submit the Letter of Intent to Apply to Dr. Lee by February 1;
- Submit Part A: AMPEL Application including essays and portfolio/work sample and Principal’s Endorsement to Dr. Lee by March 1;
- Complete the required on-line GSE Program Application by March 1;
- Participate in an interview (to be arranged);
- Meet Fordham University Graduate School of Education Admissions Requirements.
Email Dr. John W. Lee at email@example.com
for further information or to request the Letter of Intent and A.M.P.E.L. application materials, including Principal’s Endorsement Form.
Visit the Admissions section
for general Admissions information, as well as applications and financial aid information.
Candidates seeking SBL certification are required to complete a one year part-time (440 hours), clinically-rich internship at their current schools. Specific experiences are outlined at the start of the internship experience.
Certification Information Students will be eligible to take the NYS School Building Leader (SBL) certification examination. Please be aware that Fordham University grants degrees. The NYS Education Department issues certifications. Students need to consult with NYSED regarding their respective credentials and professional experiences
Applicants who work in NYC DOE schools may be eligible for a 20% tuition remission if accepted into the program based on your principal’s endorsement. Please note that accepted NYCDOE students who get this tuition reduction cannot also qualify for Graduate School of Education scholarships or graduate assistantships.