Advanced Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL): PreK-12
: Advanced Certificate:
: Teacher of emergent bilingual students.
: Fall, Spring, or Summer
: Lincoln Center
The Advanced TESOL Certificate Program is designed for experienced teachers holding an intitial, provisional, permanent, or professional certificate, who are interested in expanding their knowledge about working with Emergent Bilinguals. Individuals who do not possess an initial teaching certification, and are matriculated in an initial teacher education program at Fordham University may also apply.
The 15-credit program leads to a certificate and to endorsement for an extension to the early childhood, childhood, or adolescence certification to teach English as a second language.
This program does not lead to an academic degree.
In addition to the general admissions requirements, applicants must have:
- Copy of NYS initial/Provisional/Professional or Permanent Certification as a classroom teacher (early childhood, childhood, or adolescence) or proof of matriculation in a teacher education program (early childhood, childhood, adolescence) at Fordham University.
- Demonstrate proficiency in English through course work and the admissions essay.
- Candidates for whom English is a second language are required to take and achieve a passing score in one of two tests:
The following scores are the recommended minimum for English Language Proficiency for admission to the Graduate School of Education: Graduate School of Education:
- the TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) or
- the IELT (International English Language Test).
- IELTS*: 7 for General Test Score, No subtest can be lower than 6.
- TOEFL*: 577 for paper test, 90 for Internet based (IBT) test.
*Note: Scores can be no more than 2 years old.
- 12 credits in a language other than English
- Minimum of 3.0 GPA in graduate work
- Two professional/academic recommendations
Visit the Admissions section
for applications and general application requirements
- Fall: July 1
- Spring: November 15
- Summer (both sessions): April 15
Click any course title to read the course description. Browse all course descriptions
Additional Bilingual Education Programs
The program leads to a certificate and to endorsement for an extension to the early childhood, childhood, or adolescence certification to teach English as a second language.