Fordham University            The Jesuit University of New York

B.A.S.W. Senior Year FAQs

Do you have other questions about Field Instruction?

What classes do I take during my senior year?

You take two social work classes each semester during your senior year, plus the Field Practicum and Integrative Seminar.  In the fall, you'll take:
  • Field Practicum and Integrative Seminar
  • Social Work Practice in Research I
  • Generalist Social Work Practice With Individuals, Families, Groups, and Communities I

In the spring, you'll take:

  • Field Practicum and Integrative Seminar (continued from spring semester)
  • Social Work Practice in Research II
  • Generalist Social Work Practice With Individuals, Families, Groups, and Communities II

Learn more about when to take your classes on our B.A.S.W. Plan of Study page. >>

Get course descriptions on our Courses page. >>

What is the Field Practicum Integrative Seminar?

The Integrative Seminar is a required course that meets 15 times during your senior year. All of the students in the course are B.A.S.W. students, and it provides an opportunity to talk about the integration of what you are learning in your internship with what you are learning in your social work classes. It is a supportive learning community where you can discuss your new role as a social work professional and the growth and challenges you are experiencing.

Attendance in the seminar is required as part of your obligation to fulfill the 600 hours of the Field Practicum course. You will not receive a separate grade or additional credits for the seminar.

The course has traditionally been taught on Tuesday nights at the Lincoln Center campus and on Wednesday nights at the Westchester campus. You will be informed of the dates and time in the spring, well before you begin your internship in the fall. The person leading the seminar is your senior year social work faculty adviser. He or she is also the point person at Fordham regarding any issues at your field placement.

Learn more on our B.A.S.W. Field Instruction page. >>

How do I register for classes?

The Graduate School of Social Service has different registration dates than other Fordham University undergraduate programs. Check the GSS Academic Calendar to see when registration is held. Then contact Nicolee Feliz at or (212) 636-6628 to register for your social work classes.

How do I make sure that I have taken all of the classes I need to graduate?

You should speak with David Koch, Ph.D., the director of the B.A.S.W. program. He can be reached at or (212) 636-6656. If you have questions about your credits for graduation, you should meet with him as early in the year as possible.

Since I am a student at the Graduate School of Social Service, does that mean I am a graduate student in social work?

No. Although you are taking most classes with graduate students, you are an undergraduate student in the Graduate School of Social Service. You are, however, completing your first year of graduate school as an undergraduate. Once you have your B.A.S.W. degree, you can apply for an Advanced Standing program at any accredited graduate school of social work, including ours. Once accepted, you can complete your M.S.W. degree with one more year of classes and another internship.

How do I contact B.A.S.W. staff at Lincoln Center or Westchester?

Lincoln Center Campus

David Koch, Ph.D.
Director, B.A.S.W. Program
(212) 636-6656

Rachelle Kammer, Ph.D.
Field Instruction Coordinator/Faculty Adviser, B.A.S.W. Program
(212) 636-6660

Nicolee Feliz
Executive Assistant, B.A.S.W. Program
(212) 636-6628

Westchester Campus

Linda White-Ryan, M.S.W., R.N.
Assistant Director, B.A.S.W. Program Westchester
(914) 367-3017

Carrie Amos, L.C.S.W.
Faculty Advisor and Seminar Leader, B.A.S.W. Program Westchester

(203) 791-1180, ext. 225

Site  | Directories
Submit Search Request