To register for the LMSW examination in the state of New York:
1) Check the New York State LMSW License Requirements page of the New York State Office of the Professions website.
2) Complete Form 1: Application for Licensure and First Registration. It is available as a PDF on the New York State LMSW Application Forms page.
3) Once you have graduated from the M.S.W. program, complete Form 2: Certification of Professional Education. It is available as a PDF on the New York State LMSW Application Forms page.
Send the completed Form 2 to:
Fordam University Enrollment Group
113 West 60th Street, Room 215
New York, NY 10023.
The Registrar will verify your graduation date and send it directly to Albany. An official transcript is not needed, and there is no fee for this.
4) Once the Office of the Professions has your application, fee and verification of graduation, they will send you a letter of approval to take the exam.
5) Before you schedule your LMSW examination date, review the instructions in the Association of Social Work Boards' Examination Candidate Handbook. It is available as a PDF at the Association of Social Work Boards' website.
The LMSW exam you must take is the Masters Exam. Register for it online at the Association of Social Work Boards' registration page.
Information on becoming a licensed social worker in the State of Connecticut can be found at the Connecticut Licensing Info Center - Social Work Licensure website.