|Ph.D. Admission Requirements
|WHO SHOULD APPLY?
We encourage applications from individuals committed to a tradition of learning, service and social justice.
If you're interested in developing the knowledge base for social work practice and policy, educating the next generation of social workers and taking leadership positions in the profession, our Ph.D. program is right for you.
Ph.D. students must have a master's degree in social work or a related field.
- Your cumulative undergraduate GPA should be 3.0 or better.
- Your graduate GPA should be 3.5 or better.
PH.D. PROGRAM SCHEDULE
Students are admitted in the fall semester only. All application materials are due February 1.
REQUIRED MATERIALS FOR YOUR APPLICATION
Every application must include the following 10 elements.
- Application form: Please complete our online application in full.
- Statement of Career Activities and Plans: This brief essay should indicate why you are pursuing a Ph.D., explain your experience and scholarly interests, and state how the Ph.D. curriculum will help you achieve your career goals.
- Undergraduate and graduate transcripts: Official transcripts from all undergraduate and graduate schools you attended are required.
- One academic reference.
- Two professional (employment) references. If you do not have two professional references, you may substitute a second academic reference for one professional reference.
- One personal reference.
- Curriculum Vitae.
- Publications, written reports and presentations: Please submit copies of your written work that demonstrates your capacity for doctoral study.
- GRE scores: Verbal Ability, Quantitative Ability and Analytic Writing scores are required.
- The school code for the Graduate School of Social Service is 2252.
- The Ph.D. department code is 5001.
- Further information on the GRE exam can be found at the GRE website.
- Application fee: $75, payable by credit card on the online application page. If you must pay by check, please send a check payable to Fordham University to the address below.
We encourage you to submit all materials via our online application. If you must send some items by mail, such as published work or a check, please send them to:
Meredith Hanson, D.S.W.
Director, Ph.D. in Social Work Program
Graduate School of Social Service
133 West 60th Street, Room 716B
New York, NY 10023
Phone: (212) 636-6627
Fax: (212) 636-7876
APPLICATION DEADLINE: February 1
All material must be received by that date.
For greater detail about the policies and procedures for admission, download the Ph.D. programs's Student Manual (PDF).
Our department is eager to help you successfully complete the application process. Please contact Meredith Hanson, D.S.W., director of the Ph.D. in Social Work program, at email@example.com or (212) 636-6627 if you have any questions.