ACADEMIC TRAVEL GUIDLINES:
2013-2014 ARTS & SCIENCES FACULTY
The following supplements policies and procedures in the University Statutes
The purpose of academic travel funds is to encourage faculty to participate actively in the life of their professional organizations. In order to support maximum participation, the policies below are intended to stretch existing funds to accommodate as many faculty trips as possible. This will require a thoughtful estimate of expenses in the September report so that faculty in all departments will share equitably in the available funds.
The Chair's responsibility will be to apportion the department's budget equitably and within the limits of these guidelines. In addition, in order to reduce or eliminate the extra work and paperwork involved in reimbursing previously unreimbursed travel expenses in June and July, Chairs are now able to reimburse 100% of qualified expenses for approved travel for each faculty member within the budget resources. Any reimbursements that exceed the department's academic travel budget will need to be covered by the department.
Determination of Department’s Travel Budget:
- By September 15th submit expected 2013-2014 academic travel expenses; include travel already taken from July 1 and only through June 30.
- reimbursement is not provided simply for attendance, and is reserved for tenured and tenure-track faculty presenting and on the program
- Review your two previous years’ projected and actual expenditures - projections that are consistently inflated will not be fully funded
- as soon as possible after September 30th each Chair will receive the department's budget for the year.
The Chair will determine the proper reimbursement for each trip and allocation of resources, taking into account the relative importance of trips in terms of the trip's impact upon the individual's and the University's academic standing. All departments should follow certain basic guidelines:
- all travel receipts must be processed within 30 days of the conclusion of travel
- information on the department spreadsheet for reimbursable expenses must be complete
- faculty with discretionary funds, start-up allowances or external grants should draw on these sources before the departments' travel funds.
- meals, etc. should be reimbursed only at actual cost, supported by receipts.
- Cost of plane/train tickets is reimbursable before travel takes place when a favorable price is discovered through the internet; there is a charge for using Omega, and they are not able to get special internet fares
- Chair must evaluate claims for payment of conference fees very carefully.
- Chairs may add opportunities were not anticipated in the September 15th budget to the updated travel report.
End-of-Year Reimbursement for Previously Unreimbursed Funds:
Accounts Payable has hundreds of check requests coming at the end of the year and you want your request to be clear as possible:
- The Chair reviews the Travel and Expense Request form and, if satisfied that the request is appropriate, determines the qualified expenses, notes the amount to be reimbursed on the form, charges it to account 7100 in the department's main budget, and submits it to the Accounts Payable department for payment; the faculty member and the department should keep a copy of the entire travel reimbursement request
- travel funds will be transferred to the department's budget each month to offset expenses, up to the limit of the budget
- At the end of January you will submit an updated travel report that includes all trips taken to that point with their actual expenditures, plus updated data for trips yet to be taken, which will include new travel requests; the final expense report is due by June 15th
- the final transfer of funds will be made as soon as possible after June 30th; any travel expenses submitted past that point cannot be reimbursed
- photocopy the front page of the original Travel and Expense Check Request (T&E Check Request) that was partially reimbursed (no need for the backup documentation)
- complete a new T&E Check Request as indicated on sample, with the description identifying it was previously unreimbursed expenses; in red ink circle the amount you want them to reimburse and write and circle the current FY (click here to see sample)
- for each new request, attach the new T&E Check Request, the copy of the original. and a memo stating that this is for reimbursement of previously unreimbursed funds for FY14,with details of the transaction.