Faculty Research Expense Program (FREP)
FREP provides a small amount of funding to tenure and tenure-track faculty to encourage research. While FREP has been administered by the Office of Research in the past, FREP will be administered by individual departments/areas/schools as of July 1, 2014. This means that FREP guidelines, applications, and decision procedures may vary across departments and schools. Please contact your school for more information.
The former guidelines for FREP are included below for reference. Note, however, that these guidelines are ineffective as of July 1, 2014.
Applications for fiscal year 2013-2014 FREP funds must be submitted by June 11, 2014.
See link to application below.
The Faculty Research Expense Program provides tenured and tenure-track faculty with:
- up to US $400 per fiscal year ($500 for A&S faculty: The A&S Deans use the program to administer funds to support A&S faculty research.)
- administered on a first come, first serve basis until budget depletion
- provides funds toward necessary expenses associated with the costs of a specific scholarly publication (e.g., indexing, page charges, photos, etc.) or pilot work for a specific external fellowship or grant.
- expenses that are normally the responsibility of a school or department or the general expenses of being a scholar are not eligible; these include:
- payments to yourself
- purchase of books, journals, or subscriptions
- travel to present scholarly papers
- general office and computer equipment and supplies (this includes laptops, tablets and iPads)
- purchase of software licenses*
- *Please note that Fordham IT owns licensing for many of the most frequently requested software packages sought by researchers and makes their use available to Faculty and Staff upon request; please see Fordham IT Supported Software for a list of supported and available software.
To make a FREP request please go to: Faculty Research Expense Program Application. After completing the application, the Office of Research will notify you if your request has been approved or if additional information is needed. Upon approval, submit a hard copy memo stating your name and a brief explanation of your expense, accompanied by the appropriate Fordham Accounts Payable or HR paperwork, completed with everything except the budget numbers and authorizing signature. In addition, submit any required documentation, such as receipts, invoices, etc. attached as hard copy originals.
Submit these hard copy materials to the following address:
441 E. Fordham Rd.
Bronx, NY 10458
QUESTIONS? Please email email@example.com.