Faculty Research Grants (FRG)
Faculty Research Grants are provided to tenured and tenure-track faculty in accord with University Statutes.
In brief, applicants may apply for:
$6,500 toward expenses that will be incurred preparing an application for external support (use application and Budget Proposal Form);
$4,000 toward expenses that will be incurred preparing a scholarly publication only (use application and Budget Proposal Form);
$6,500 summer stipend to relieve from summer teaching responsibilities (use application only; Budget Proposal Form is not required).
The summer stipend is a pilot program with a very limited number of awards. In addition to the criteria applied to all faculty research grant applications, competitive applications for summer support will demonstrate extremely strong potential for achieving either subsequent external support (e.g., an application for a grant or fellowship that relies on the results of the project with a high expectation of funding, perhaps because it is a resubmission or invited application with an imminent deadline) or imminent publication of a major work (e.g., a book contract with a deadline within the year following the summer award). In other words, there should be evidence that without the summer support, the faculty member would miss a specific funding opportunity or a deadline for a specific prestigious publication. In addition, faculty with a record of summer teaching at Fordhm will have priority; first-year faculty are not eligible). Acceptance of the award precludes teaching or other duties during the summer and requires 1. attendance at two seminars on applications for external funding and 2. mentoring for other faculty members by critiquing their external funding proposals.
FRG applications are considered and awarded in two cycles, one for "1st Year at Fordham" faculty only, and the second which is open to all tenured/tenure-track faculty.
To apply for a Faculty Research Grant, please click on the appropriate link:
"1st Year at Fordham" faculty — October 1st
All tenured/tenure-track faculty — January 15th
Please note that you cannot save the application —it will be lost if you do not click submit. Please make sure that you review the application and have all of the information (including the three files described below) you need before beginning to complete it.
Application requires information such as:
• Name, contact information, academic status (school, rank, tenure status, etc.)
• Other funding supporting your research.
• Title of project, external funding for the project (either received or in process).
Attachments (3 separate files)
Please upload only .doc, .docx, or .pdf format files; the size of an individual file cannot exceed 20MB.
• Curriculum Vitae
• Funding Justification Narrative. Please follow these guidelines in preparing your
narrative: FRG Narrative Guidelines
• Completed Budget Proposal Form (not required for summer stipend):
FRG Budget Proposal Form
A Library of Exemplary Project Narratives is provided below to assist your application. Please note that the guidelines for Narratives are revised each year, so that these applications may not match the current guidelines:
1. first application from new faculty
2. new or changed research agenda
3. longstanding research agenda of tenured faculty
4. journal article preparation
5. book - nascent
6. book - mid-development
7. book - completing uncontracted
8. book - completing contracted
9. book - seeking subvention or print support
10. external funding application to be prepared
11. complement to external funding (received)
12. complement to extra-institutional collaboration
13. combination of publication and external funding
14. combination of scholarship and public service
15. combination of scholarship and teaching
16. interdisciplinary project
17. application proposing multiple projects
18. project making bold, possibly challenged claims re: impact
19. Summer FRG Narrative
All requests for disbursement of funds must include:
(A) a hard copy memo stating:
(i) your name
(ii) FRG 20XX - 20XX (XX = appropriate years of funding)
(iii) a brief explanation of your expense making clear that it complies with your
(B) accompanied by the appropriate Fordham Accounts Payable or HR paperwork, completed with everything except the budget numbers and authorizing signature (your dept secretary may be able to assist you, or you can use the handbooks from both of those offices, available by clicking "Guidance" on the Office of Sponsored Programs website: (www.fordham.edu/osp)
(C) with any required documentation attached as hard copy originals (e.g., receipts, invoices)
(D) to the following address:
441 E. Fordham Rd.
Bronx, NY 10458
LINK: Faculty Funding Management FAQs
Finally, please note that all FRG recipients are expected to submit an FRG Final Summary Report within one month of the completion of their FRG and to provide annual updates on outcomes:
LINK: Faculty Research Grant Summary Report