Fordham University            The Jesuit University of New York



• I want to study abroad, what do I need to do? Visit the Study Abroad Office (ISAP); become familiar with the Study Abroad Guidelines and the Roster of Approved Programs; research your program options in our offices’ Resource Rooms or on-line; get and complete the Fordham Study Abroad Application and your  Program Application (please note that the process for summer study abroad and Fordham Abroad Programs is slightly different).

• Do I have to meet with the Director in order to study abroad? Any ISAP staff member should be able to answer most of your questions, and no formal meeting with the Director is required prior to applying. He is however quite familiar with all the programs and values the opportunity to talk with prospective applicants about their study abroad objectives and options.  If you wish to make an appointment, please contact ISAP. As the Director is quite busy, be prepared to schedule an appointment several weeks before you wish to meet. 

• Can I apply to more than one program?  Yes, but you will have to explain and justify your selections in your Statement of Purpose Questionnaire and your Major Advisor form must address both programs.

• Can I study abroad as a senior?  Yes, but only in the fall semester and if doing so does not jeopardize your ability to meet all graduation requirements.  Permission from your dean is also required.  Keep in mind that summer study abroad and Fordham Abroad Programs are also options.

• Can I, as a transfer student, study abroad?  Yes, but not all your study abroad credits will count if you already have more than 45 transfer credits count towards your Fordham degree.

• Can I study abroad for an academic year in two different countries? Yes, but a solid academic rationale for each semester destination and program selection is required.  Additional planning might also be necessary.

• Can I extend my time abroad an additional semester once I am there? If it is in the same program and you make the request before Nov. 10th it might be possible, but the extension will have to be approved by your class dean and major advisor as we need to make sure staying an additional semester will not compromise your ability to meet all graduation requirements on time.

• If I go abroad and I don’t like it, can I come back? Of course you can, but you might find yourself one semester behind.  Think well and hard whether study abroad is something you want and can do.

• What if I change my mind about studying abroad after I submit my application? To withdraw from study abroad, or defer your acceptance, you must inform ISAP in writing (and inform your program as well). Keep in mind that, if you wish to defer, you must ensure that you will still be eligible to study abroad the next semester. If you decide to change programs, you must resubmit your Statement of Purpose Questionnaire and Major Advisor form to be reconsidered.

• I've studied Spanish but I'd like to go to a French-speaking country to learn French; is that possible? It is possible but keep in mind that the Review Committee welcomes applications from students who want to improve skills they have already been working on and always questions the wisdom of using valuable time during junior year to begin learning another language.  Summer might be a more appropriate time for such an endeavor.

• I am a Pre-Med student; can I go abroad in my sophomore year? Probably not, but before you close the door, make sure to talk to your class dean and your Pre-Med Advisor to thoroughly consider your options.

• What programs would you recommend for a GSB student? Will the courses count for my degree? GSB students normally consult with their Dean who helps them determine how the courses to be taken abroad will count towards their degree. These courses are usually free-electives, but GSB participants in the UCD/Quinn School of Business and The Beijing Center programs might also take courses in their areas of concentration.

• Do I  need to fill out two applications? Yes, Fordham and your chosen program require separate applications. There are a couple of exceptions; please check ISAP if you are unsure about how to proceed with your program application.

• Can my recommenders send the letters/forms directly to the Study Abroad Office or should I pick them up and hand everything in together? This will depend on what responsibility you want to assume for your application and, of course, your recommender’s wishes. Both options are acceptable.

• If I haven’t declared a major yet, who should complete my Major Advisor Form?  A letter from your class dean or from a faculty member in your anticipated major department will do.

• Since I don’t have a major yet, who will approve my courses?  If you intend to take courses abroad to count towards a major, you will have to declare a major before you leave as study abroad courses must be approved by a major advisor.

• If my program is conducted in English, do I need to fill out the Language Evaluation Form?  No. Language Evaluations are only necessary if you will be taking content courses (history, literature, etc.) in another language.

• Who will fill out my Language Evaluation Form if my professor does not teach here anymore? Please go to the Department and ask to speak with the Associate Chair. S/he will determine which faculty member can meet briefly with you and complete the form.

• Where do I request an official transcript for my program application?  You must go to the first floor of Thebaud Hall at Rose Hill or to room 216A in the Lowenstein building at Lincoln Center to request a copy of your transcript.  We recommend that you pick up the transcript yourself (as opposed to having it mailed to the program), so you can include it with the rest of your application. Requests are genarally fulfilled within 7-10 business days; an "immediate transcript" can be available for a fee within 24 hours or one business day. Please note that requests are not processed while the University is closed, and may take longer to process during peak times.

• What are my chances of being accepted? If you approach the application seriously, your objectives are clear and sound, and you satisfy all requirements and meet the deadlines, your chances are excellent.  Since programs are competitive and some fill up on a first come, first served basis, consider early applications and backup programs.

• What if my GPA is low because of one class or one semester? It will depend on “how low” and we would like to see you have at least one semester above the required GPA. The GPA requirement is just one among other variables considered by the Review Committee.  Do not underestimate the importance of your Statement of Purpose Questionnaire or your Letters of Recommendation. Keep in mind however that good programs usually have similar GPA requirements to ours (some have higher requirements) and that it in your interest to participate in programs that have high standards.

• Can I take Core Courses abroad? It will depend on the course, but keep in mind that, with few exceptions, Core Courses are courses done by Freshmen and Sophomore before they choose a major.  For a number of reasons and given the content of such courses, it is not advisable or desirable to take such courses as an upper classman. Should you think an exception applies to you, question # 5 in the Statement of Purpose Questionnaire offers you an opportunity to make your case.

• Can students take the Global Studies and American Pluralism distribution requirements while abroad?  The content of both requirements offer clues: absolutely not the course on American Pluralism; depending on your destination, Global Studies might be taken in a study abroad program.

• How many credits is each course worth? Typically, students take 4-5 classes for a total of 15-16 US credits.

• How do I get my study abroad credit added to my Fordham transcript? Be sure to request that a copy of your transcript is sent to ISAP by your program upon completion of your term abroad.

• Who do Ispeak with about housing abroad? Housing options are normally outlined in the program information available in our offices or on-line.  Once you have been accepted by a program, you will receive additional information and might be asked to complete additional placement forms.

• What will happen to my housing at Fordham? Once you have beenapproved to study abroad, you will need to contact the Office of Residential Life to declare your intent to vacate and complete all required forms.

• How will I register for Fordham courses while I am abroad? It will be very simple and not that different from how you presently do it.  In fact, almost 98% of study abroad participants report that their Fordham registration while studying abroad was their easiest registration ever.

• Do I pay Fordham tuition or the cost of the program?  You pay the cost of the program and your regular tuition will be adjusted accordingly. Translation? If your program costs more than Fordham’s tuition, your Fordham bill will include an extra charge (supplemental tuition) to cover the difference; if your program costs less than Fordham’s tuition, your Fordham bill will include a credit.

• Do I still have to pay Fordham fees? Yes.

• What about payments, do I pay the program or do I pay Fordham? When you do a semester or an Academic Year program you remain matriculated at Fordham and most payments are billed to you through Fordham. When you do a summer program, you pay the program directly. Fordham Abroad Programs are billed through Fordham.

• Will my merit-based or financial-based scholarships be portable? Yes, institutional forms of financial aid are portable for study abroad but the aid is capped as per existing Study Abroad Guidelines.
• What types of scholarships are available?  Some programs offer scholarships, and outside scholarships are also available. Additional information is listed on our website and resources are available in our offices.


Site  | Directories
Submit Search Request