Fordham University            The Jesuit University of New York

Back to Employment Resources

F1 Economic Need Work Permission

F1 Economic Need Work Permission

Economic need work permission is a type of employment authorization for F-1 students who have experienced severe and unforeseen economic problems AFTER being maintaining F-1 status for a minimum of nine months.

To pursue this application, make an appointment with the Director of OIS. At that meeting, you should submit supporting information to demonstrate your economic need. For example, proof of substantial changes in the value of your home currency, the loss of a graduate assistantship, or unexpected medical expenses. This is not a routine application and each is evaluated on a case by case basis.

If your situation is plausible, severe and urgent, the Director will recommend your request to the USCIS through a comprehensive application.

If USCIS approves your application, you may work full time during the vacations, but only part time (up to 20 hours per week) while school is in session, on-campus OR off-campus,related OR unrelated to your field. You may not begin legal employment until you have received authorization from the USCIS.

If you plan to travel outside the United States after this work permission has been approved, you may need a new I-20 to be issued to show the change in financial resources. You are advised to meet with the Director in this situation.

Site  | Directories
Submit Search Request