Fordham University            The Jesuit University of New York
 


Beatrice Berglaind

Banner

INTERVIEW TRANSCRIPT SUMMARY
Beatrice Berglaind and Harriet Waites

63rd Interview
Interviewees: Beatrice Berglaind and Harriet Waites
Interviewers: Dr. Mark Naison
Date of Interview October 25, 2005
Summarized by Stephanie Crane

Beatrice Berglaind and Harriet Waites began their interview by recounting their past and present experiences with the community church of Morrisania which was founded by Pastor William E. Thompson in 1956.  He, along with community members, purchased a house on Teller Ave. for $10,000 to serve as the non-denominational church’s building which facilitated the needs of the African American community that was developing in the neighborhood and also began the formation of new, warm, active community in Morrisania.

Beatrice Berglaind, an active member of the church since 1976, spoke of her experience growing up prior to and after becoming involved in that community. In 1940, her family moved to 1324 Grand Ave. to a house located in a predominantly Jewish neighborhood.  She attended P.S. 88 where she was chased home everyday and often singled out for being one of the few African American students in the school and in the neighborhood.  Her grandfather, Eddie Jones, also resided in this neighborhood and was brutally killed for having an interracial relationship with a white woman.  The family eventually moved to a more integrated neighborhood on 163rd street and Tinton Ave., where Berglaind attended PS 23, a more racially diverse school than PS 88.  Berglaind worked for the lawyer Conrad J. Lynn before she began her work in the corrections department which she would stay involved in for thirty years.

In 1963, Harriet Waites moved to a racially mixed neighborhood in the North Bronx on Laconia Ave., and 219th street.  Her children went to PS 135 and then Evander Childs.  When she was young, she tried out various churches in the Bronx such as St Anthony’s Roman Catholic Church, St. Augustine’s and Thessalonia before attending the community church of Morrisania in 1975.  Amidst her various church visits she remembers hearing Martin Luther King Jr. speak on Stebbins Avenue in the 1950’s.

Together the two women shared their memories of the Bronx from the time when the notion of community was the most important element to when the demographics began to change and crime, specifically the presence of gangs and drugs, became a problem.  Morris High School, like several other public schools in the Bronx, had an orchestra, talent shows, and after-school programs for students to enhance their various talents and social skills.  However, racial tensions increased and became obvious as segregation became a requirement in restaurants such as White Castle and other public places.   Students began to care less about their schools, becoming involved in hooky clubs and then altogether failing or dropping out.  Slicksters and Coplans were two of the many gangs that began to establish a presence in the Bronx.  In 1955, drugs, particularly heroin, became a dividing issue within the Bronx community.  Yet despite the many problems that presented themselves, both Waites and Berglaind continued to and still find support and motivation within their church community.

Key Words: Teller Ave., William E. Thompson, International Council of Community Churches, Cratona Park Lake, Gene Red, Jean Martin, Arthur Crier, Johnnie Johnson,  Community Church of Morrisania, Morris high school, Morrisania, PS 88, PS 23, doo wop, White Castle, segregation, PS 135, Evander Childs, hooky clubs, heroin, Bronx fires, gangs, Conrad J. Lynn, Hamburger Barn, Delahanty Institute, the grind, Grace Gospel, PS 97, Stuyvesant, Bronx Blvd, Starling T. Chern, Rupert Ranker, community       






BACK TO TRANSCRIPT SUMMARIES INDEX
 

© 2009 Bronx African-American History Project at Fordham University
 
   

Site  | Directories
Submit Search Request