Students interested in applying for a Ph.D. degree in the Department of History should contact Nancy Curtin, the director of graduate studies. You may also wish to contact faculty in your field directly via email, letter, or phone. The following links take you to the website of the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences. Open the GSAS on-line inquiry form if you have any general questions regarding graduate school at Fordham. Follow this link to apply on-line. All non-matriculated students who are interested in taking classes should fill out an application form.
In general, the following are necessary to be considered for admission for a graduate degree in the Department of History.
Admission Requirements for the Ph.D.
- Master's degree in history from an approved college or university
- Official transcript of school records
- GPA of at least 3.5 (B+)
- Graduate Record Examination (GRE)
- For foreign students, English proficiency exams such as the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)
- A writing sample, minimum of 5-7 pages, is strongly advised
- Three letters of recommendation from former professors