Fordham University            The Jesuit University of New York

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Questions regarding the International Political Economy and Development (IPED) Program
Questions regarding the application process
Who do I contact if my question isn't addressed here?

Questions about the IPED program
How Many Credits are Required for the IPED Program?
  • 36 credit hours (typically 12 courses) are required to complete the MA in International Political Economy and Development. A full-time student will complete their degree in three semesters.
Can I Pursue an IPED Masters as a Part-Time Student?
  • Yes. Part-time students may pursue their studies at the pace that best fits their own schedule and needs. In addition, the majority of IPED courses are offered in the evenings between 5:30pm and 9:30pm, Monday through Thursday. This schedule is designed to accommodate our working students and those who choose to study part time for other reasons.
Does IPED Offer Online Courses?
  • At this time, there are no online courses available.
Does IPED Offer Spring Matriculation?
  • At this time, students are only admitted for matriculation into the Fall semester. Those who need a later start date should apply for admission the following Fall semester.
When Do Classes Begin/End?
  • Academic calendars can be found here.
How Competitive is the IPED Program?
  • Admission into the IPED program is competitive. Out of around 200-250 applications to the IPED program each year, a maximum of 30 students are accepted. Thus, the acceptance rate is around 12-15% (depending on the exact number of applicants in a given year). All applicants should have a B (3.0) or better average during prior coursework, and matriculated students generally score at least 152 on the quantitative section of the GRE and 156 on the verbal section.
What is the Composition of the IPED Student Body?
  • Each year, a maximum of 30 students are accepted into the IPED program. Of these, between 30-40% are international students. The average student is in their late twenties. A majority have international work experience (Peace Corps, JVI, internships, etc).
What Are the Current Tuition and Fee Rates for the IPED Program?
Out of Which Fordham Campus Does IPED Operate?
  • The IPED offices, as well as the majority of IPED classes, are located at the Rose Hill (Bronx) campus. However, a few elective courses are offered at the Lincoln Center (Manhattan) campus.
In Which Graduate School is IPED housed?
Can I Visit the Campus?
  • Prospective students are welcome to visit Fordham University's campus. During a visit, prospective students have the opportunity to speak with current students, sit in on a class, and, depending on availability, speak with faculty. For more information on setting up a visit, please contact us at For those wishing to tour the campus, the Undergraduate Admissions Office offers campus tours on a regular basis. Check here for times and availability.

Questions about the application process
What is the Application Deadline for the IPED Program?
  • For Fall 2015 entrance, the deadline for acceptance with merit-based financial aid is January 7, 2015. Applicants not seeking merit-based financial aid (these applicants could still qualify for student loans) can apply as late as April 8, 2015.
What Are the Application Requirements?
  • The following elements are required in your application:
    Evidence of your having the equivalent of a U.S. bachelor's degree with a B or better average;
    A statement of purpose;
    Transcripts of all previous undergraduate and graduate coursework;
    Three letters of recommendation;
    The general aptitude scores of the Graduate Record Examination (GRE). Students who do not wish to be considered for merit-based financial aid may substitute LSAT or GMAT scores in place of the GRE.
    Score on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) if you are an international applicant
How Long Should the Statment of Purpose Be?
  • The Statement of Purpose should be between 500-1500 words. A two-page essay is generally acceptable.
Do I Need to Submit a Writing Sample?
  • Other than the Statement of Purpose, no additional writing sample is required. However, applicants who wish to submit further evidence of their writing capabilities may submit a writing sample during the online application process.
Who Should I Ask to Write My Recommendations?
  • Recommendations should be written by either professional or academic sources. Former supervisors and professors are good options. Though not necessarily required, it is suggested that at least one recommendation come from an academic source and at least one from a professional source.
Is the GRE Required?
  • In order to be considered for merit-based financial aid, all applicants must submit current GRE scores. If an applicant wishes to be considered for admission without merit-based financial aid (they may still apply for student loans), LSAT or GMAT scores may be submitted in place of the GRE. In order to be considered for admission, all applicants must submit scores from one of these tests.
What Are the School Codes for Sending GRE and TOEFL Scores?
  • The Graduate School of Arts and Sciences' (GSAS') school code for GRE scores is: 2259 (no department code is necessary). GSAS' school code for TOEFL scores is: 2259. GMAT and LSAT scores should be sent directly to our Admissions Office at:
    Fordham University
    Graduate School of Arts and Sciences
    Keating 216
    441 East Fordham Road
    Bronx, New York 10458
Where Do I Submit My Application Materials?
  • The majority of application materials may be submitted online via the online application system. The Statement of Purpose, Resume, and Recommendations may all be submitted online. In addition, GRE and TOEFL scores may also be requested (from the appropriate institution) online. The score reports will then be sent directly to our Admissions Office. However, if you have other materials (Transcripts or hard copies of Letters of Recommendation), they should be sent directly to the Admissions Office at:
    Fordham University
    Graduate School of Arts and Sciences
    Keating 216
    441 East Fordham Road
    Bronx, New York 10458
How Do I Apply for Financial Aid?
  • For merit-based financial aid, all you need to do is check "Yes" to the financial aid question on the online application. In addition, some specific fellowships require that you indicate your interest in your Statement of Purpose. Check here for further information on these fellowships.

    For non-merit based financial aid (such as student loans), please refer to the Financial Aid Office for information on how to submit the FAFSA and apply for student loans.
Who Should I Contact if I Have Questions About My Application?
  • All applications are routed the the GSAS Office of Admissions. Thus, if you wish to verify that all of your application materials have been received, please contact the Office of Admissions at either or 718-817-4416718-817-4416. Likewise, if you wish to check on the status of your application or you have questions regarding the acceptability of particular application documents, please refer to the above contact information.
Can I Apply for an Application Fee Waiver?
  • Applicants in very specific circumstances may apply for an application fee waiver. Though these conditions do not apply to the majority of applicants, please contact the Office of Admissions regarding the availability of application fee waivers. They can be contacted at either or 718-817-4416718-817-4416.
When Are IPED Admissions Decisions Usually Made?
  • Admission decisions are usually made around mid-March and notifications sent out by email as well as regular mail soon after.

Contacting IPED

If I Have a Question That is Not Answered Here, Who Should I Contact?
  • There are two main points of contact for the IPED program.

    For questions about the IPED program (requirements, fellowships, faculty, etc), please contact the IPED Office:
    The Graduate Program in International Political Economy and Development
    Fordham University, Rose Hill Campus
    Dealy Hall, Room E 517
    Bronx, NY 10458, USA
    Telephone: 718 817-4064718 817-4064
    Fax: 718 817-4565

    For questions regarding the application process specifically (receipt of materials, status, etc), please contact the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences (GSAS) Office of Admissions:
    Fordham University
    Graduate School of Arts and Sciences
    Keating 216
    441 East Fordham Road
    Bronx, New York 10458
    Phone: 718-817-4416718-817-4416

    If in doubt as to which office to direct your questions, contact the IPED office and we will direct your inquiry to the proper office.

Site  | Directories
Submit Search Request