- 1997 Diplom (MA equivalent) in Psychology, Freie Universität Berlin, Germany
- 2003 Ph.D. in Psychology, Freie Universität Berlin, Germany
|Major Research Interests
- Psychological mechanisms of positive development and aging
- Personal resources, adaptive strategies, self-referent beliefs, and how they interact
- Psychological strengths in centenarians
- Adaptation to and coping with critical life events, disease, and the aging process
- Activities and health in relation to cognition and memory performance
- Memory beliefs and metamemory
- Lifespan psychology (adulthood, old age, centenarians)
- Successful Aging: Concepts and Determinants
- PSYC 6330 - Cognitive Development
- PSYC 4310 - Aging and Society
- PSYC 1000 - Introductory Psychology
- Dr. Kathrin Boerner, Jewish Home Lifecare, New York, NY
- Dr. Christopher Hertzog, Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta, GA
- Dr. Richard Lipton, Einstein Medical Center, Yeshiva University
- Dr. Frank Oswald, Goethe University Frankfurt
- Dr. Christoph Rott, Institute of Gerontology, Heidelberg University
- Dr. Dario Spini
A complete listing of all of Dr. Jopp's published works may be obtained by visiting DigitalResearch@fordham.edu.
- Jopp, D. S., & Hertzog, C. (2010). Assessing adult leisure activities: An extension of a self-report activity questionnaire. Psychological Assessment, 22, 108–120.
- Boerner, K., & Jopp, D. (2010). Resilience in response to loss. In J. W. Reich, A. J. Zautra, & J. S. Hall (Eds.), Handbook of adult resilience (pp. 126–145). Guilford Publications.
- Hertzog, C., McGuire, K., Horhota, M., & Jopp, D. (2010). Does believing in “use it or lose it” relate to self-rated memory control, strategy use and recall? International Journal of Aging and Human Development, 70, 61–87.
- Jopp, D., Rott, C., & Oswald, F. (2008). Valuation of life in old and very old age: The role of socio-demographic, social, and health resources for positive adaptation. The Gerontologist, 48, 646–658.
- Jopp, D., & Hertzog, C. (2007). Activities, self-referent memory beliefs and cognitive performance: Evidence for direct and mediated relations. Psychology and Aging, 22, 811–825.
- Boerner, K., & Jopp, D. (2007). Improvement/maintenance and reorientation as central features of coping with major life change and loss: Contributions of three life-span theories. Human Development, 50, 171–195.
- Dittmann-Kohli, F. & Jopp, D. (2007). Self and life-management: Wholesome knowledge for the third age. In J. Bond, F. Dittmann-Kohli, S. M. Peace, & G. Westerhof (Eds.), Ageing and Society (3. Vol., pp. 268–295). London: Sage.
- Jopp, D., & Rott, C. (2006). Adaptation in very old age: Exploring the role of resources, beliefs, and attitudes for centenarians’ happiness. Psychology and Aging, 21, 266–280.
- Jopp, D., & Smith, J. (2006). Resources and life-management strategies as determinants of successful aging: On the protective effect of selection, optimization, and compensation. Psychology and Aging, 21, 253–265.
- Smith, J., & Jopp, D. (2005). Geschlechterdifferenzen im Alter(n) [Gender differences in old age and aging]. In N. Birbaumer, et al. (Series Eds.), S.-H. Filipp & U. M. Staudinger (Vol. Eds.), Enzyklopädie der Psychologie: Vol. C, V, 6. Entwicklungspsychologie des mittleren und höheren Erwachsenenalters (pp. 501-524). Göttingen: Hogrefe.
- Jopp, D., & Leipold, B. (2004). Zur Wahrnehmung von Ressourcen und ihrer Bedeutung für das Wohlbefinden: Altersassoziierte Gemeinsamkeiten und Unterschiede [Perception of resources and its role for well-being: Age-associated similarities and differences]. Zeitschrift für Gerontologie und Geriatrie, 37, 354–356.
- Smith, J., Maier, H., Borchelt, M., & Jopp, D. (2003). Health and well-being in old age: Findings from the Berlin Aging Study. Journal of Social Issues, 58, 715–732.
- Jopp, D. (2009, November). Predicting memory performance in a lifespan sample: Comparing the role of self-reported activities, memory beliefs, and strategy use. Paper presented at the 62. Annual Scientific Meeting of the Gerontological Society of America, Atlanta, GA.
- Rott, C., & Jopp, D. (2009, November). Persons or places – Are social interactions and going to favorite places similar sources for well-being in very old age? Paper presented at the 62. Annual Scientific Meeting of the Gerontological Society of America, Atlanta, GA.
- Jopp, D., Rott, C., & Oswald, F. (2009, July). Self-efficacy in young-old, old-old, and centenarians. Paper presented at the 19th IAGG World Congress of Gerontology and Geriatrics, Paris, France.
- Wozniak, D., Stanek, S., Berendonk, C., Ehret, S., Strobel, M., Glaub, A., & Jopp, D. (2008, December). Gutes Altern aus Sicht von Laien: Definitionen und Determinanten [Successful aging from the perspective of laypersons: Definitions and determinants]. Paper presented at the 9. Congress of the German Society for Gerontology and Geriatrics, Potsdam, Germany.
- Jopp, D., & Schmitt, M. (2008, August). Coping with multiple life events. Paper presented at the Annual Convention of the American Psychological Association, Boston, MA.
- Jopp, D., & Hertzog, C. (2008, July). Adaptation in adulthood: Which roles play resources, strategies, and beliefs for well-being? Paper presented at 29. International Congress on Psychology, Berlin, Germany.
- Jopp, D., Hoppmann, C., & Blanchard-Fields, F. (2008, July). Personal resources and their relation to goal progress in older couples. Paper presented at the 20. Meeting of the International Society for the Study of Behavioral Development, Würzburg, Germany.
- Jopp, D., & Hertzog, C. (2007, November). Memory action control beliefs: Relations to strategy use and performance. Paper presented at the 60. Annual Scientific Meeting of the Gerontological Society of America, San Francisco, CA.
- Jopp, D., Hoppmann, C., & Blanchard-Fields, F. (2007, November). Linking resources and goal pursuit in older couples: an experience-sampling approach. Paper presented at the 60. Annual Scientific Meeting of the Gerontological Society of America, San Francisco, CA.
- Jopp, D., & Rott, C. (2006, November). Meaning in life and will to live: Assurance for positive adaptation in very old age. Paper presented at the 59. Annual Scientific Meeting of the Gerontological Society of America, Dallas, TX.
- Jopp, D., & Hertzog, C. (2005, November). Health dimensions and their relation to beliefs about cognition, strategy use, and cognitive performance. Paper presented at the 58. Annual Scientific Meeting of the Gerontological Society of America in Orlando, FL.
- Jopp, D., & Smith, J. (2004, July). Linking perceived health change, depression, and aging satisfaction tosurvival:Results of the Berlin Aging Study. Poster presented at the 18. Biannual Meeting of the International Society for the Study of Behavioural Development, Ghent, Belgium.
- Jopp, D., Rott, C., & d’Heureuse, V. (2004, August). On the roles of resources, self-referent beliefs, and attitudes towards life for successful aging: First results from the Heidelberg Centenarian Study. Paper presented at the 28. International Congress of Psychology, Beijing, China.