- Dr. James Hennessy, Dean of the Graduate School of Education, has succeeded the now-retired Peter Vaughan as Co-Chair. Jim has been active since the start of the Veterans Initiative, with his early sponsorship of the Human Resiliency Institute and the ongoing Edge4Vets
- A University Committee on Veterans Affairs, comprised of some 50 faculty, staff, alumni, and student-veterans, was appointed by the Provost last Spring as a standing committee, succeeding the ad hoc FordhamVets Task Group which got the Initiative up and running in 2009. It is functioning well and is expected to become an organizational model for other universities.
- Armed Forces at Fordham, our University-wide student-veteran group, is now a recognized chapter of Student Veterans of America, and School-based groups have become active in Grad Social Service, the Law School, and Grad Business -- the latter of which spear-headed the successful drive to arrange for a Fordham float in this year's NYC Veterans Day Parade.
- A new Veteran and ROTC Alumni Chapter has been formed, with Col. Ed Winkler, USA Ret., FCRH'67, Law'72 serving as its first president.
- Our Veterans Writing Workshop
-- a 10-week program offered as a community service to any interested veterans -- continues at both Lincoln Center and Westchester; the program's tenth anthology of writings was published in October.
- New Fordham services and programs for student-veterans continue to flourish: the Boots to Books
peer-mentoring activities in the Counseling Center
, a partnership with the VA's new VITAL Initiative
in the Student Life/Services Divisions, the new internship development course in the School of Professional & Continuing Studies, taught by the founder of FourBlock,
and GBA's coming entrepreneurship-focused Global Veterans Initiative
.... all indications that the sense of ownership and responsibility for student-veterans' success continues to be broadly shared.
All of the above have contributed to accelerating growth in Fordham's enrollment of student-veterans and dependents -- now approaching 350, with well over 100 already graduated -- and to our continued ranking in Military Times' top 25
nationally, and #1 among private universities in NYC for the fourth consecutive year!