Board Minutes - Nov 2011
Minutes of the Marymount Alumnae Board Meeting
Thursday, 10 November 2011
888 Seventh Avenue, New York, N.Y.
In Person: Patricia A. Cole (President), Kathy Jowitt (Secretary), Rita Arno, Sr. Mary Heyser, R.S.H.M., Angel Hinojosa, Mary Donohue, Mike Trerotola (Fordham)
By Phone: Sarah Sullivan (Vice President), Joyce Abamont, Dr. Eileen Burchell, Barbara Robinson White, Renee Zobel.
WELCOME (Patricia A. Cole, President)
Patricia opened the meeting by welcoming everyone and reiterating that the Board has made great progress in planning and promoting the December 4, 2011 Butler Commons Dedication Ceremony at Duane Library.
PRAYER (Sister Mary Heyser, R.S.H.M., Alumnae Chaplain)
Sister Mary opened her remarks by reciting a segment of Joyce Rupp's prayer "Out of the Ordinary", with an emphasis on the coming of Advent, and reminded everyone to pray at this time to the "God of Hope" and to pray that we all be enabled not to lose the power of God's presence in our lives.
MINUTES (Kathy Jowitt, Secretary)
Patricia Cole and Kathy Jowitt asked for formal approval of the Minutes from the September 15, 2011 board meeting. Kathy Jowitt then made a motion that the Minutes be approved, and Barbara White seconded the motion. The Minutes from the September 15, 2011 board meeting were approved.
PRESIDENT'S REPORT (Patricia A. Cole, President)
DEDICATION CEREMONY, December 4, 2011 Update: The new cut-off date for registration for the Dedication Ceremony is now November 18. To-date, registration stands at 153. Priority seating will be given to former awardees, faculty and R.S.H.M.
Program: There have been no changes to the program participants and content detailed in our minutes of November 2011.
Attendees: The team leaders for the segment outreach provided a progress report:
- Faculty (Dr. Eileen Burchell): To-date, a minimum of faculty are registered. The list will be updated to those who have also recently confirmed by phone (some include Mr. and Mrs. Frank Demers, John Lawry, Dr. Elisa Carillo, Mary Gilhooly and Grace Butterweek).
- R.S.H.M. (Sister Mary Heyser, R.S.H.M.): To-date, a total of 22 R.H.S.M. from around the country will attend the event, including Sisters Pauline MacDonald and Angela Milioto, Provincial Councillors of the R.S.H.M. Western Province.
- Previous Awardees (Jean Wynn and team): A written update to be sent and Patricia noted a number of awardees who had not attended in the past would be joining.
- Class Agents (Jane Bartnett): The 50th Anniversary Class Agent, a professor of education at Hofstra University, asked for assistance on Facebook set up which she would use for her class outreach. Rosemary Guider, Class Agent from the Class of 1993 will join. The Class of 1990 now has a new Class Agent, Jean Homberg, (as Renee Micklewright will no longer be able to serve). Mike Trerotola for e-mail confirm of Agent attendees.
Logistics Set Up
There will be a table set up for the sale of Marymount memorabilia, including coasters, jewelry rolls, paperweights, framed watercolors and K.Burton's Mother Butler of Marymount. A Christmas ornament and prayer book will be given to attendees as mementos. The items were viewed by the board attendees and a vote was taken on pricing with a special offer of lithograph note cards for donations of $250 and $1,000. Any remaining items will be offered at Jubilee 2012.
A table will also be set up which will advertise Jubilee 2012. Jennifer Bauchner has coordinated this effort. Items will include a picture board of last year's Jubilee, Save-the-Date postcards for Jubilee, and raffle slips. The winner of the raffle will receive a free ticket to the dinner at Jubilee 2012.
Luncheon Logistics ctd.
The luncheon portion of the event will run from 12:15 to 2 p.m.—again no changes to content or flow. A portion of the seating will be reserved for participants, awardees, faculty and R.S.H.M. (otherwise open seating). A Leadership Questionnaire will then be distributed to all attendees to solicit feedback, which will assist in planning the fall event.
Ram Vans will run from 9:30 a.m. until 2:30 p.m. to transport attendees from the parking areas to Duane Library and back.
NOMINATIONS (Rita Arno, Chair)
Rita reported that, based on the ballots returned from board members, that the following alumnae will be the awardees at Jubilee 2012:
- Jeanne Fisher-Thompson (Class of 1972) Recipient, Alumna of Achievement Award
- Diane Kollar Monticone (Class of 1962) Recipient, Golden Dome Award
- Sister Margaret Ellen Flannelly, R.S.H.M., (Class of 1957) Recipient, Gloria Gaines Award
Dr. Elisa Carillo, former faculty member at Marymount College, and Rosemary DeJulio, assistant to the president of Fordham University, will be named Honorary Alumnae at Jubilee 2012.
Regarding Jubilee 2012, Mike Trerotola announced that he, Father Gatti, S.J., and Brianne Lauren have agreed to invite all alumnae and classes to attend Jubilee next year.
Board dates: Upcoming dates for the Spring 2012 board meetings are as follows:
- January 12, 2012 – This meeting will be a call-in.
- February 9, 2012 – This will be a formal board meeting.
- March 15, 2012 – This meeting will be a call-in.
- April 19, 2012 – This will be the last formal board meeting of the 2011-2012 board year.
The focus of the spring meetings will be Jubilee 2012 and the Women's Leadership Conference, which will be launched in the fall of 2012. Topics of discussion at the January 12, 2012 call-in will also include organization of the standing committees, the Association By-Laws and Historical Designation.
Sister Mary Heyser informed the board of the launch of the R.S.H.M. Volunteer Program and mentioned that an orientation for those interested in the program will be held on November 22, 2011.
Rita Arno offered to handle the organization and purchase of the alumnae awards above for Jubilee 2012. Kathy Jowit, who has been responsible for this portion of the ceremony planning for the past two years, also agreed to the hand-off. The Gloria Gaines trophy will be picked up in February for inscription update.
The meeting was formally adjourned at 7:15 p.m. Upcoming meeting to be held January 12, 2012.