Fordham University            The Jesuit University of New York

Frequently Asked Questions

What are departmental charge backs?

Departmental charge backs are expenses charged to a department for support services provided by other departments.  For example, the Fordham Duplicating Center provides on campus printing.  In general, the department that provides the service pays for the start-up expenditures associated with providing the service.  Once a service has been provided, the cost is charged back to the department.  The department that provides the service sends the Controller’s Office a listing of the charges which are then posted to the appropriate subcode on individual department account.  Other examples of charge backs are telephone, postage and copy cards.

What effect do open encumbrances have on a budget balance?

When the Procurement Office enters a purchase order in Banner Finance, it appears as a commitment and decreases the organization balance available.  The encumbrance remains open until final payment is made against the order or the order is closed by the Procurement Office.  In order to ensure that an order is closed and any remaining balance is returned to the budget, it is important to indicate “final payment” when approving the final invoice related to a particular order.

How do I request an account manager change?

In general, account manager changes are authorized by the appropriate area vice president or dean.  An e-mail from the dean or area vice president’s office to the Budget Office is sufficient documentation for the change.  The Budget Office may also make changes based on knowledge of personnel changes.

Is there a listing of what the Banner Finance transaction rule codes represent?

Major transaction codes may include: 
BD01, BD02  Budget Entry
CR05  Cash Receipt
CHS1, Disbursement other than Accounts Payable
PORD, CORD Encumbrance
JE15, JE16 Journal Entry
HGNL, HGRB Payroll Entry
INNI    Accounts Payable
BD01  Balance forward from prior year

How do I request Banner Finance online access?

Please complete the Confirmare Request Form.

Site  | Directories
Submit Search Request