Fordham Wins Awards for Campus Restoration ProjectsContact: Michele Snipe
NEW YORK— The New York Landmarks Conservancy has awarded Fordham University two Lucy G. Moses Preservation Project Awards for excellence in historic preservation for the recent renovations to the University Church and Duane Library, two of the oldest buildings on the Rose Hill campus.
Built in 1845 and officially declared a New York City landmark in 1970, the University Church (right) has undergone a series of renovations, but none as extensive as the most recent. During the yearlong, $5 million project, the entire building was re-pointed and most of the ornamental details were replaced. In addition, the six 19th-century stained-glass windows were removed from the University Church and transported to the studios of Rholf’s Stained and Leaded Glass in Mt. Vernon, N.Y. Each window was photographed and then disassembled, allowing craftsmen to painstakingly clean every piece of glass. The renovation was completed in October.
For more than 70 years, Duane Library served as the architectural and intellectual centerpiece of the Rose Hill campus. But Duane was closed in 1997 when the William D. Walsh Family Library opened its doors to students. The renovation on the building began shortly thereafter. Although Duane is not an official city landmark, it was treated as such during its restoration. The most significant change during the three-year, $12 million project was the removal of the original stone porch in the front of the building, which allowed the basement to become the first floor and main entrance. The original limestone from the former porch was used to create a new entryway and surrounding plaza.
Duane Library was reopened in May 2004 and now houses the Department of Theology, the Office of Admission, the Curran Center for American Catholic Studies, a visitors’ center, lecture rooms and a University Commons.
Founded in 1841, Fordham is the Jesuit University of New York, offering exceptional education distinguished by the Jesuit tradition to approximately 15,800 students in its five undergraduate colleges and six graduate and professional schools. It has residential campuses in the Bronx, Manhattan and Tarrytown, and the Louis Calder Center Biological Field Station in Armonk, N.Y.