University Information Security Office
Because information security is critical to the privacy and integrity of Fordham University community members and our traditional educational, research, and operational missions, Fordham has created the department of University Information Security.
The University Information Security Office (UISO) is responsible for the overall direction of information security functions relating to Fordham University, specifically: IT risk management, security policies, security awareness, and security architecture. Given the focus of these areas, the UISO assesses and works with the strategic components of functional business units as well as operational security staff across all University IT organizations. We cultivate relationships with users and department liaisons to set priorities, discuss issues of common concern, and manage expectations.
Areas of responsibility include security of enterprise-wide applications, communications, networks and computing services as well as University-wide data stewardship.
Additionally, the UISO
In alignment with the University Strategic Plan, the Executive Director of the University Information Security Office has developed and chairs a University-wide Information Security Advisory Board to provide guidance and advocacy on information security standards and security investments. Additionally, this department will identify security goals and objectives and develop plans for implementing policy, processes and procedures to support the strategic direction of the University.
- promotes quality and integrity of information security throughout the University;
- is accountable for developing information security policy, obtaining ratification of the policy from key constituents and for overseeing the implementation of this policy at the University;
- is tasked with building a culture of information security;
- is tasked with educating the University concerning the implications of legislative requirements;
- works closely and cooperatively with the University Physical Safety and Security Office to enhance the University’s physical security and with University General Counsel in maintaining privacy within the University for Faculty, Students and Staff.