WebFOCUS is a reporting engine that turns corporate data into meaningful information, complemented with Web components for presenting information and interacting with end users. WebFOCUS is developed by Information Builders, a company based in New York founded in 1975. Their founding product was the database system called FOCUS, that later on evolved in WebFOCUS.
According to Gartner (2009), “Information Builders had the best forward progress in the leadership quadrant because of their commitment to leading innovation and their ability to listen and respond to their customers”. “Customers that Gartner contacted for this research rate Information Builders’s software as one of the easiest to use in the industry” (Gartner, 2009).
There are two main parts of each WebFOCUS system to develop, the Web Interface (the part that is the most familiar to end users) and the report logic.
Fordham University uses WebFOCUS for reporting in many different areas: DAUR, Enrollment Services, Finance, Financial Aid, Accounts Receivable, Human Resources (HRIS and Payroll), Enrollment Services (including Freshmen Registration and Graduation Reports), Provost.
The Banner and PowerFAIDS systems are the most relevant data sources for WebFOCUS reports.
Which Browser should I use?
Special notes about Internet Explorer 10:
- WebFOCUS 7.7.x: The matrix in Figure 1 will answer that question
- Currently, WebFOCUS 7.7.x fully supports only Internet Explorer (up to version 9).
- WebFOCUS 8.xx will work properly only with the 32-bit version of Internet Explorer 10
- WebFOCUS 7.xx will generally not work properly with IE version 10. If using IE 10 cannot be avoided, the browser has to be in compatibility mode.
The reports I was running stopped responding: what should I do?
How to downgrade from Internet Explorer 10 to Internet Explorer 9/8 (Windows 7)?
- Try logging off and then log back in
- Whenever possible, choose to download the reports in the excel format
- Open up Start Menu>Control Panel>Programs>Programs and Features
- Select “View installed updates” on the left pane.
- Select “Windows Internet Explorer 10 “and click “Uninstall” button
- Restart the computer
Figure 1 - WebFOCUS 7.7.x Browser Compatibility Matrix