Barriers and Solutions to Time Management
- Feeling there are rigid standards for how things should be done, fear of failure, or second guessing oneself blocks people from being productive.
Avoidance and Reinforcement:
- A person avoids activities that cause distress, discomfort, or anxiety. However, avoidance will probably make the responsibility increase (e.g. you skip class and then you have more to catch up on)
Passive Aggressive Behavior:
- Not completing tasks due to hostile feelings toward another person and a desire to punish that person but putting things off. This may involve not wanting to confront a person directly or not wanting to confront your own feelings. In the end, feelings of anger or consequences could be targeted at you for not completing the work
- People may procrastinate so frequently that it can become a habit. Making excuses for not managing time well can become a habituated response “I am too tired,” “I don’t feel like it,” “I need to check facebook.”
- People with attention problems (such as ADD or ADHD) may suffer from inattention and distractibility, hyperactivity, including inability to stay focused on tasks, shifting from one activity to another, seeming to get bored easily, and being susceptible to distraction by irrelevant sights and sounds
- People may be distracted from doing their work due to stressful emotional circumstances in their life, for example, relationship problems, facing a loss or traumatic event, stress due to financial problems
Tips for Organization and Time Management
1. Learn to use a daily planner;
- Put all due dates and exams in the planner.
- Break reading assignments into little bits and schedule times to do the reading.
- Include all your social, work and recreational activities in your planner.
- Always have your planner with you.
2. Make sure you do not take on too much excess work or responsibilities
3. Allocate 10-15 minutes in the morning or before you go to bed at night to plan your day.
4. Make a "To Do" list, and keep it in your planner.
5. Schedule time for things that are relaxing and enjoyable for you as a reward
ROSE HILL CAMPUS
LINCOLN CENTER CAMPUS