Coping with ADHD Strategies
- Exercise on a daily basis. Exercise is one of the most positive and efficient ways to reduce hyperactivity and inattention from ADD/ADHD. Exercise can relieve stress, boost your mood, and calm your mind, helping work off the excess energy and aggression that can get in the way of relationships and feeling stable.
- Choose something vigorous and fun that you can stick with, like a team sport or working out with a friend.
- Yoga, meditation, or tai chi, can teach you to better control your attention and impulses.
- Get plenty of sleep, and regular sleep patterns.
- Eat healthfully, which can reduce distractibility, hyperactivity, and decrease stress levels dramatically. Eat small meals throughout day and avoid sugar as much as possible.
- Try to schedule short time-limited work periods during which you will not be interrupted.
- To organize yourself, get in the habit of taking notes and writing lists.
- If you are distracted by tangential ideas, write down or audio-tape the intruding thoughts in a "brainstorming log."
- Keep your workspace orderly. Do not, however, use desk clearing as a distraction from tasks that must be done.
- Deal with tasks now. Set up a routine of Filing papers, cleaning messes, or returning phone calls as they come up, not sometime in the future.
Organization and Time Management Strategies
- Learn to use a daily planner; Put all due dates and exams in the planner, schedule reading times and break assignments into little bits, include social, work and recreational activities in your planner, and always keep your planner with you.
- Allocate 10-15 minutes in the morning or before you go to bed at night to plan your day.
- Make a "To Do" list, and keep it in your planner.
- Plan to be early and set up reminders.
- Prioritize. Ask yourself what is the most important task you need to accomplish, and then order your other tasks after that one.
- Take things one at a time
- Learn to say “no.” Turning things down may improve your ability to accomplish tasks, keep social dates, and live a healthier lifestyles
ROSE HILL CAMPUS
LINCOLN CENTER CAMPUS