Learn English at Fordham's Institute of American Language and Culture
There is no better place to improve your English than in New York City, the cultural capital of the world. Our full-time intensive program and part-time courses are designed to improve your English language skills in a limited amount of time, right in the heart of Manhattan.
English as a Second Language
We provide English as a Second Language (ESL) courses in writing, grammar, reading, speaking, listening, and vocabulary to:
- prospective university students with low intermediate (non-beginner) English levels who need to improve their proficiency before applying to an American university
- currently enrolled Fordham University students who want to expand their English skills
- any individual in the New York area seeking advancement or fluency in English
- full-time employees at high-intermediate and advanced levels who are seeking evening classes and weekend classes
Why Choose Fordham?
Fordham ESL students talk about the benefits of choosing Fordham for their studies.
The IALC has Fordham University accreditation through the Middle States Commission on Higher Education (MSCH).
The full-time ESL program fulfills the United States Immigration and Naturalization Service requirements for student visas. Acceptance to the institute does not imply admission to any Fordham degree program. However, many of our students apply to and enroll in Fordham’s undergraduate or graduate programs during or shortly after completion of their English language studies at our institute.
At no additional cost to you as an enrolled student, you will have the opportunity to experience a variety of learning and social activities in the New York area, including:
- the language exchange program, which connects you with native-English speaking Fordham students
- class field trips in and around New York City
- workshops in English grammar, pronunciation, and conversation
- Culture Club excursions to sites, restaurants, museums, and other attractions
- use of the Language Laboratory, a multimedia, state-of-the-art language-learning center at the Lincoln Center campus
There are so many great opportunities to make new friends and lasting memories while mastering the English language at Fordham University.