Fordham University

 

Home | Ancient History Sourcebook | Medieval SourcebookModern History Sourcebook | Byzantine Studies Page
Other History Sourcebooks: African | East Asian | Global | Indian | IslamicJewishLesbian and Gay | Science | Women's


IHSP


MainAncientMedievalModern


Subsidiary SourcebooksAfricanEastern AsianGlobalIndianJewishIslamicLesbian/GayScienceWomen


Special ResourcesByzantiumMedieval WebMedieval NYC
Medieval MusicSaints' Lives
Ancient Law
Medieval Law
Film: Ancient
Film: Medieval
Film: Modern
Film: Saints


About IHSPIJSP Credits

St. Bartholomew's Church
New York
By
George Sanchez


INTRODUCTION -Three Churches:
  • The first church, built in 1835 was located at Great Jones and Lafayette Place. The east wall of that church is still standing having been incorporated into another structure. It cost $33,000.
  • The second church was located at Madison Ave. and 44th street. It was completed in 1872. It was vacated because the foundation and roof had become structurally unsound.
  • The present church was designed by Bertram Grovenor Goodhue (1869-1924).
  • St. Bartholomew's Church is on the site owned by the Schaefer Brewing Company. Although it opened in 1918 and consecrated in 1923, the dome and much of the interior decoration, including mosaics, were not added until later.
Details 

Location and -Mailing address- 

109 East 50th Street,  
New York, New York 10022 

Tel: 212/378-0200 

Hours: The church is open for visiting, prayer and meditation 7:45 to 6 pm daily. 

Denomination: Episcopalian 
Links 

St. Bartholemew's Church Official Website 

Byzantine History 

Byzantine on the Internet  

What are Byzantine Mosaics?  


Medieval New York | St. Bart's Main Page | Dome | Interior | Mosaics