Modern History Sourcebook:
Jean Jacques Rousseau: On Human Inequality
[Note: Reading Guides are meant as review aids for a particular
text. They do indicate some of the questions a text raises.]
Answer the questions below.
Find your information from the sourcebook itself, or from your
You may use other sources, but indicate what they are is this
is the basis of submitted class work.
Jean Jacques Rousseau: Origin of Inequality
- Who was Rousseau? List at least two other books by him and
indicate their subject matter.
- What is Rousseau's explanation for the origin of inequality?
- What does Rousseau mean by "civil society"?
- How do Rousseau's attitudes and beliefs about society compare
- In The Social Contract, who makes the contract?
- What is the "general will"?
- Who is "Sovereign"?
Know the Meanings of these phrases/words