Playwriting MFA Application Information
Applicants to the M.F.A. in playwriting must have completed or be in the process of completing a bachelor's degree and need to apply to and be accepted by the Fordham University Graduate School of Arts and Sciences (GSAS). In addition to the GSAS application materials, applicants to the M.F.A. in playwriting must also submit a playwriting portfolio to Matthew Maguire, director of the M.F.A. program.
Playwriting Portfolio Requirements:
- Cover letter
- Two plays (at least one should be full length)
Mail your playwriting portfolio to:
Director, Fordham University/Primary Stages M.F.A. in Playwriting
Department of Theatre and Visual Arts
Fordham College at Lincoln Center
113 W. 60th Street, Room 423F
New York, NY 10023
GSAS Online Application:
To apply you must create an account. Please access the Online Application to initiate the application process and receive your user name and password.
The GSAS application requires the following components:
- Letters of Recommendation: Two from former professors, professional playwrights or directors, or employers. Please make every effort to have the letters submitted electronically. If hard copy, each must be signed and sealed across the seal.
- Statement of Intent: (maximum 500 words, submitted electronically via the online application). Place your name on all pages of your Statement of Intent.
- Official Transcripts: Request your college/university transcripts now so you can have them sent (sealed from the college/university) to the admissions office at the following address by the deadline date: Fordham University | GSAS | Keating 216 | 441 East Fordham Road | Bronx, NY 10458. International transcripts must be translated into English and converted to the U.S. grading system of 4.0 GPA (Grade Point Average). Transcripts and credentials conversion could be submitted to one of the following for evaluation: World Education Resources or Educational Credential Evaluators.
- Application Fee: The application fee is $70. The fee is waived for McNair Scholars, Peace Corps Volunteers, Fulbright Scholars, Project 1000 Scholars, and Members of the U.S. Military. Please send a waiver request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Note that the M.F.A. in playwriting does NOT require GRE scores for admission.
All GSAS application components need to be received at GSAS admissions. Please do not send any GSAS application materials to the theatre program. Any additional materials not submitted electronically (transcripts & recommendations) should be sent to Fordham's GSAS admissions office at the address below. Do not send hardcopy duplicates of materials that you submitted electronically -- that will delay your application process.
Send any additional GSAS application materials to:
Graduate School of Arts and Sciences
Keating Hall 216
441 East Fordham Road
Bronx, NY 10458
Please do NOT mail your playwriting portfolio to GSAS.