Incoming/Transfer J.D. Students
- After January 1st, complete the online Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) for the upcoming academic year. Fordham’s Title IV School Code is 002722. (The FAFSA must be filed every year that you apply for financial aid. Be sure you are completing the form for the academic year for which you are seeking aid.)
- All first time borrowers at Fordham University must complete the Federal Direct Student Loan Entrance Counseling at studentloans.gov.
- Complete an electronic Federal Direct Loan Master Promissory Note (MPN) at studentloans.gov.
- Complete the University's Federal Direct Loan Request Form for the academic year you are seeking financial assistance.
- Complete the Department of Education's Grad PLUS application and secure a credit decision at studentloans.gov. If you are denied credit, you will receive instructions as to your options.
- Complete an electronic Federal Direct Grad PLUS Loan Master Promissory Note (MPN) at studentloans.gov.
- First-time Grad PLUS Loan borrowers must complete the Federal Grad PLUS Student Loan Entrance Counseling at studentloans.gov.
- Complete the University's Federal Direct Grad PLUS Loan Request Form for the academic year you are seeking financial assistance.
Private Loan Application Procedures: To apply for a private education loan, you must apply directly with the lender of your choice. Before deciding upon a lender, carefully review the interest rates, fees, deferment availability, repayment options, etc., offered by each lender in order to find the lender that best serves your needs. Questions to ask prospective lenders and other things to consider when considering a private loan may be found in the Financial Aid Guidebook. Remember, if you are planning on a career in public/government service, private loans cannot be included in the Federal Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program.