Research and Teaching Areas
Intellectual Property; Arts/Artists; Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual & Transgender (LGBT) Rights; Copyright; Entertainment & Media Law; Critical Race Theory, Civil Rights, and Property
- PROPERTY OUTLAWS: HOW SQUATTERS, PIRATES AND PROTESTERS IMPROVE THE LAW OF OWNERSHIP, (Yale University Press) (2010) (with Eduardo M. Peñalver)
- CONTRABRAND: ART, ADVERTISING AND PROPERTY IN THE AGE OF CORPORATE IDENTITY, (Yale University Press) (forthcoming)
- THE LAW OF CULTURAL PROPERTY (Aspen, forthcoming) (with Angela Riley and Kristen Carpenter)
- HANDBOOK ON INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY AND ART (Edward Elgar Press, forthcoming) (with Christine Farley)
Articles and Essays
- Trademark Cosmopolitanism, UC DAVIS LAW REVIEW (2013) (forthcoming) (symposium on branding)
- Notes toward a Critical Contemplation of Law, 2 COLUM J. RACE & L. 20 (2012)
- The Unending Search for the Optimal Infringement Filter, 112 COLUM. L. REV. SIDEBAR 83 (2012) (with Jason M. Schultz).
- Trademark Intersectionality, 57 UCLA L. REV. 1601 (2010).
- The Dissident Citizen, 57 UCLA L. REV. 1415 (2010) (symposium on Law and Sexuality).
- Stealth Marketing and Antibranding: The Love That Dare Not Speak Its Name, 58 BUFF. L. REV. 795 (2010) (symposium on Advertising and the Law).
- Anti-Branding and Stealth Marketing: The Love that Dare not Speak its Name, BUFFALO L. REV. (2010) (symposium on Advertising and the Law)
- Filtering, Piracy Surveillance, and Disobedience, 32 COLUM. J.L. & ARTS 401 (2009) (symposium on Intermediaries and Technology).
- “Clarifying Cultural Property,” 17 INT’L J. CULTURAL PROP. 581 (2010) (with Kristen A. Carpenter & Angela R. Riley).
- In Defense of Property, 118 YALE L.J. 1022 (2009) (with Kristen Carpenter & Angela Riley).
- Property Outlaws, 155 U. PA. L. REV. 1095 (2007) (with Eduardo M. Peñalver)
- Semiotic Disobedience, 84 WASH. U. L. REV. 489 (2006).
- Performance, Property, and the Slashing of Gender in Fan Fiction, 14 J. GENDER SOC. POL’Y & L. 461 (2006) (keynote and symposium).
- Sexuality and Sovereignty: The Global Limits and Possibilities of Lawrence, 14 WM. & MARY BILL OF RTS. J. 1429 (2006) (symposium).
- Privacy vs. Piracy, 7 YALE J.L. & TECH 222 (2004).
- The New Surveillance, 54 CASE W. L. REV. 297 (2004).
- Ending the Revolution, Review Essay of Lawrence Lessig’s THE FUTURE OF IDEAS and Siva Vaidyanathan’s COPYRIGHTS AND COPYWRONGS, 80 TEX. L. REV. 1465 (Summer 2002).
- Exporting Identity, 14 YALE J.L.&FEMINISM 97 (Spring 2001).
- India’s Troubling Reversal on Gay Rights, NEW YORK TIMES (December 2013).
- Between Disobedience and Deception, SCOPE MAGAZINE, 2012 No. 1, at 8.
- Personhood for Artificial Agents?, CONCURRING OPINIONS, February 15, 2012
- Occupy's New Tactic Has a Powerful Past, CNN OPINION, December 16, 2011 (with Eduardo M. Peñalver)
- Why the Fox News Suit Against Robin Carnahan's Campaign Is Bogus, SLATE.COM, (September 2010) (with Eduardo M. Peñalver)
- The Fair Use Senator, Can Harry Reid really post Sharron Angle's old campaign Web site?, SLATE.COM, (July 2010) (with Eduardo M. Peñalver)
- The Dangers of Copyrighting Fashion, AMERICAN CONSTITUTION SOCIETY FOR LAW AND POLICY (April 2010) (with Eduardo M. Peñalver).
- Introducing the Altlaw: The Shepard Fairey Obama "Hope" Poster Controversy, Commentary, FINDLAW, (March 2010) (with Eduardo M. Peñalver).
- Celebrating Trespassers, AMERICAN CONSTITUTION SOCIETY FOR LAW AND POLICY (March 2010) (with Eduardo M. Peñalver).
- Celebrating Trespassers, Commentary, HUFFINGTON POST (February 2010) (with Eduardo M. Peñalver)
- Trade Secrets and Other Avenues for Protection of Advanced Technology, 20 FORDHAM INTELL. PROP. MEDIA & ENT. L.J. 875 (2010) (with Hugh C. Hansen, Roger Milgrim, George Graff, Sharon K. Sandeen).
- The Shame of 38: In Denying Marriage Equality, the New York Senate Has Betrayed the State’s Progressive Tradition, Commentary, NATIONAL LAW JOURNAL (December 2009) (with Darren Rosenblum).
- The Fight Over the Redskins Trademark and Other Racialized Symbols, Commentary, FINDLAW (December 2009).
- Civil Rights Must Be for All, Commentary, NATIONAL LAW JOURNAL (January 2009).
- Forty Years of Loving: Confronting Issues of Race, Sexuality, and the Family in the Twenty-First Century, 76 FORDHAM L. REV. 2669 (2008) (with Elizabeth Cooper, Sheila Foster, and Robin Lenhardt).
- Trademarks v. Free Speech in Cyberspace, 18 FORDHAM INTELL. PROP. MEDIA & ENT. L.J. 1165 (2008) (with Robert Weisbein, William McGeveran, and Brett Frischmann)
- Fair Use: Its Application, Limitations, and Future, 17 FORDHAM INTELL. PROP. MEDIA & ENT. L.J. 1017 (2007) (with Laura Quilter, Paul Aiken, David Carson, and John Palfrey).
- Intersectional International Human Rights, Commentary, 5 GEORGETOWN J. GENDER & L. 857 (Fall 2004).
- Public Appropriation of Private Rights: Pursuing Internet Copyright Violators, Commentary, 14 FORDHAM INTELL. PROP. MEDIA & ENT. L.J. 893 (2004).
- A War on CD Piracy, A War on Our Rights, Opinion Editorial, L.A. TIMES (June 2003).
- A Legal Malpractice Claim by MP3.com: In the Changing Area of Cyberlaw, Is a Crystal Ball Necessary to Avoid Liability?, FINDLAW (February 2002).
- Private Property, The Public Use of Creativity, and the Internet: A Review of Lawrence Lessig's The Future of Ideas, FINDLAW (November, 2001).
- Making Patents Public: Redefining Intellectual Property when AIDS Drugs are At Issue, FINDLAW (October 2001).
- The Poetry of Politics, Opinion Editorial, CHRISTIAN SCIENCE MONITOR (December 2000).
- Same-Sex Sexual Harassment: An Opportunity for the Court, Opinion Editorial, WASHINGTON POST, (December 1997).
- University of Chicago Law School, J.D., 1998
- Brown University, A.B., 1993
Honors and Awards
- Winner, Dukeminier Award for 2002 (given to the authors of the best legal scholarship on sexual orientation) for Exporting Identity
- Winner, Cybercrime Writing Competition for 2004, sponsored by the Yale Information Law Society Project and the Yale Journal of Law and Technology for The New Surveillance
- Honorable Mention, Scholarly Papers Competition for 2006, American Association of Law Schools, for Semiotic Disobedience, article referenced in New York Times Magazine, September 2006
- Andy Warhol Creative Capital Award for Contrabrand, first law professor to receive grant devoted to writing on the visual arts and law ($25,000 for research, travel, and license clearances)
- Fordham University Nominee for National Endowment for Humanities Summer Grant, for Contrabrand, 2008
- Fordham Research Award (for outstanding publications, 2002-present), Summer Fellowship Grant (2002-present), Research Fellowship (2004-05, Fall 2010)
- Winner, Best legal articles of 2010 in the field of entertainment and media law by Westlaw for Anti-Branding and Stealth Marketing: The Love that Dare Not Speak its Name
- Nominated for Professor of the Year in 2012-13