Omar T. Mohammedi
Omar Mohammedi is the founder and managing partner of the Law Firm of Omar T. Mohammedi, LLC. Omar Mohammedi’s previous experience includes working at Shearman & Sterling and Anderson Kill & Olick. Mr. Mohammedi has represented entities and individuals on Islamic legal matters such as Islamic Estate Planning and Islamic Finance. He has extensive knowledge on Islamic Profit Sharing such as Istisna, Musharakah, Mudarabah and Sukuk transactions. Omar Mohammedi served as an advisor and attorney to HSBC in its Shariah compliant Islamic Finance operations.
Mr. Mohammedi has counseled corporations on international investment operations. He lectured at numerous domestic and international conferences on International Trade, Investment, Islamic Finance transactions, Regulatory matters, Islamic Estate Planning and Arbitration. He has handled Islamic Estate Planning exceeding $30 million in assets.
Mr. Mohammedi has successfully litigated various high profile cases, such Amadou Diallo v. the City of New York et al. and Shqeirat v. US Airways Group, Inc. et al. Mr. Mohammedi has extensive experience in complex multidistrict litigation (MDL) cases such as In re 9/11 Litigation.
Mr. Mohammedi has served as a Chief Justice at various Moot Court Competitions. He also served as a committee member for the New York City Bar Association on International Trade. He participated in the publication of recommendations on the Dolphin-Safe Tuna controversy and U.S.-Mexico trade relations.
Mr. Mohammedi was appointed by Mayor Michael Bloomberg to become the first Muslim and Arab New York City Commissioner on Human Rights in October 2002. He enforces the New York City Human Rights Law through review and approval of Administrative Judges’ decisions.
- New York State Bar
- US District Court, SDNY, EDNY
- Court of International Trade
- Algerian Bar
- Fordham Law School, LLM, International Trade and Business Law, 1995, Recipient of the Barry Hawk Prize for attaining the highest cumulative average
- Cambridge and Warwick Law School, England, LLM, International Investment Law, 1989
- Tlemcen Law School, Algeria, BA, Islamic and Civil Legal Systems, 1985
- International Trade and Investment in Algeria: An Overview, 18 Mich.J.Intl L. 375 (2010);
- Shariah-Compliant Wills: An Overview, ABA Probate & Property Magazine (2011)