Jay G. Safer
Adjunct Professor of Law
Jay G. Safer is a partner in Locke Lord's New York office and has experience handling complex litigation and arbitration in the United States and abroad. Jay represents clients in matters concerning contracts, antitrust, securities, RICO, qui tam, international litigation and arbitration, including application of New York Convention and enforcement of foreign judgments and arbitration awards, insurance, construction, real estate, employment, media, product liability, health care, professional ethics, financial, constitutional and regulatory issues.
He also counsels clients on commercial matters, including protection and preventive measures, creation of risk litigation plans, e-signature, e-discovery and e-readiness, and pre-litigation analysis.
Jay was appointed by the Chief Judge of the State of New York, the Hon. Jonathan Lippman, to the newly created permanent Commercial Division Advisory Council that will advise the Chief Judge and the Judiciary on all matters involving the Commercial Division of the State of New York.
Jay has served on the Planning Committee for the Judicial Conference of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit, which he attended.
Jay was appointed by Chief Judge Judith S. Kaye to serve on the Special Commission on the Future of the New York State Courts.
Jay is the Past Chair of the 2,000 member Federal & Commercial Litigation Section of the New York State Bar Association and is the Co-Chair of its Federal Judiciary Committee.
Jay has served as a lecturer on panels, bench-bar forums, and is a member of committees with judges and attorneys discussing a wide range of civil litigation issues, international arbitration and litigation skills, including cross examination for the National Institute for Trial Advocacy, professional ethics, and e-discovery.
Jay’s professional affiliations and awards have included:
- Named as a New York SuperLawyer
- Named as a 2013 Top Rated Lawyer in Commercial Litigation
- Named as a 2013 Top Rated Lawyer in Banking and Finance Law
- Named as a 2013 Top Rated Lawyer in Technology Law
- Achieved AV Preeminent® Peer Review Rating
- New York State Bar Association, Elected as Vice President, First Judicial District and Member of the NYSBA Executive Committee
- New York State Bar Association, Co-Chair, Federal Judiciary Committee and Member of Executive Committee, Commercial & Federal Litigation Section
- New York State Bar Association, Co-Chair Litigation Committee and Member of Executive Committee, International Section
- New York State Bar Association, Commercial & Federal Litigation Section, Past Chair
- New York City Bar Association, Past Chair of Council on Judicial Administration, Special Committee on Judicial Selection, Committee on State Courts of Superior Jurisdiction
- American Bar Association
- New York County Lawyers Association, Member of the Board of Directors
- New York County Lawyers Association, Co-Chair of the Foreign and International Law Committee
- Fund and Committee for Modern Courts
- Named American Bar Foundation Fellow
- Named New York Bar Foundation Fellow
- Member of Chartered Institute of Arbitrators
- Mr. Safer has made appearances on television and authored numerous articles and publications.
JD, Columbia Law School
BA, Vanderbilt University