Our Community's Standards
We human beings are by nature designed to create moral rules and social order by ourselves. The situation of normlessness, what Durkheim labeled ‘anomie’, is intensely uncomfortable for us, and we will seek to create new rules to replace the ones that have been undercut… we will use our reason to negotiate different arrangements that will serve our underlying interests, needs, and passions.
Our University, like every community, has a set of standards for the conduct of its members. The University's Board of Trustees sets these standards, and every member of our community agrees to abide by them when each becomes a student or is employed by the University. The functioning of our University depends in part on these standards.
THE UNIVERSITY CODE of CONDUCT
The following actions are considered violations of the University Code of Conduct and are punishable by sanctions imposed in accordance with the published judicial procedures of the University:
- All forms of dishonesty, including cheating, plagiarism, supplying false information to any University official, as well as forgery or use of University documents or instruments of identification with intent to defraud.
- Theft from or damage to University property and/or theft of or damage to the property of another while located on the property of the University. Knowingly receiving, retaining, or disposing of the lost or mislaid property of a member of the University community or of the University itself.
- Unauthorized entry, use, or occupation of University facilities, as well as the unauthorized possession, duplication, or use of keys to University facilities.
- Tampering with or misusing fire alarms, fire-fighting equipment, or safety equipment.
- Harassment of another person, whether physical, sexual, or verbal, either oral or written.
- Physical abuse, sexual abuse, threats, intimidation, coercion, and/or other conduct which threatens or endangers the health or safety of any person.
- The unauthorized selling, purchasing, producing, or possession of any lethal weapons, explosives, fireworks, or incendiary devices.
- The unauthorized selling, purchasing, producing, possession, or use of barbiturates, amphetamines, marijuana, hallucinogens, opiates, or other addictive and illegal drugs or drug paraphernalia.
- Engaging in or inciting others to engage in conduct which interferes with or disrupts any University function, or which prevents or limits the free expression of the ideas of others, or which physically obstructs or threatens to obstruct or restrain other members of the University community or visitors.
- Failing to surrender the University Identification Card upon request of clearly identified University personnel (this includes campus security personnel). All members of the University community are required to have the University Identification Card in their possession while on campus.
- Engaging in lewd, licentious, or disorderly conduct.
- Failing to comply with the direction of clearly identified University personnel (this includes campus security guards) in the performance of their assigned duties.
- Violation of the published University regulations including but not limited to those regarding Motor Vehicles, Residence Halls, and the McGinley Student Center.