Expectations for Study Abroad Students
- Students who will be studying abroad must withdraw from housing for the semester. Intent to Vacate forms must be filed and submitted to the Office of Residential Life by the published deadline.
- Students that are going to study abroad do not forfeit their $100 housing deposit for the spring semester. You may opt to keep it as a future credit or request a refund. Please keep in mind that if you have an outstanding balance on your Bursar account, your refund will be credited automatically to your balance and no refund will be sent to you. You will need to inform the Office of Residential Life if you would like a refund so that we can request the proper adjustment through the Student Accounts office.
- Students who are studying abroad for one semester and intend to return to Fordham University for the following fall semester must participate in the spring Housing Lottery. Participation in the lottery will provide you with the opportunity of returning in the fall semester to a room assignment of your choice with your friends.
To participate in the Spring Housing Lottery, you must do the following:
- Pick a proxy: A friend(s) who will represent you in the lottery during your absence.
- Fill out the proxy information section on the Intent to Vacate form and submit it to the Office of Residential Life with a copy of your student ID.
- In February, your proxy will be responsible for picking up your Housing Lottery packet. Your proxy must complete the Housing Application card, sign it on your behalf, and return it to the Office of Residential Life stamped by the bursar's office. You are responsible for making sure that the $200 housing deposit is paid to the Bursar's office by the deadline. Failure to meet the deadlines stated within the Housing Lottery packet will eliminate your participation. Remember to give your parents information regarding your proxy so they may keep in contact and ensure that all requirements are completed and received at the Office of Residential Life on time.
- Please keep in mind that you are responsible for completing all of the necessary requirements for the Housing Lottery. Please choose responsible friends that will follow through during your absence.
- Please be advised that students who study abroad are guaranteed housing upon their return to Fordham, but are not guaranteed a bed space in a specific room.