Fordham University            The Jesuit University of New York

Damage Billing


Fordham University operates its residence hall system under the premise that resident students are a part of a community within the residence hall; resident students are much more than boarders. As members of a residential community, students engage in social interaction, pursue common educational and other goals, and demonstrate concern and sensitivity for their peers.

Social responsibility plays its part in the damage assessment process. If someone damages something and another resident student knows about it, it is the student's responsibility as a member of the building’s community to report the matter to the residence hall staff. The maintenance of a vandalism-free environment is, in the final analysis, the task of individuals living in each building, not a far-off external authority. Resident Assistants (RAs), Desk Assistants (DAs) and Watchman Guards are dedicated to facilitating safety and security within the residence hall, but residents must do their parts by confronting or reporting situations including damaging to the building.

The Process of Damage Assessment
Each resident student is responsible for examining and signing a Room Condition Report (RCR) upon arrival to the residence halls. The RCR is a record of the conditions of a student’s room or suite at move-in. It serves to protect the student from charges for damages preceding his/her arrival and ensures that s/he can be held responsible for any damages incurred during occupancy. At check-in, the student will receive a copy of the RCR. At this time, the student is to examine the condition of his/her room, suite, or apartment in comparison with the comments on the RCR and correct any incorrect or missing information. A resident must sign his/her RCR form within the first three days of arrival.

At opening, the Office of Residential Life will distribute a list of approximate costs for the replacement or repair of University fixtures, furniture, and other items. This information is also available in the Residential Life Handbook (p. 60). The charges outlined in this document are subject to change as repair and replacement costs change. These charges may also vary by hall, as repair and replacement costs vary in each building.
Facilities may employ contractors to correct or repair any damages. Fines, in addition to damage charges, may be levied in cases that adversely affect the safety of a building such as damage to fire and security equipment.

Over the course of the academic year, the residence hall staff conducts several inspections of student rooms and suites.
Residents need not be present at the time of inspection. Staff members will note any damage as well as illegal appliances (as defined in the Residential Life Handbook). Damage charges and/or judicial fines will be placed on the student’s bursar account.

If damage occurs in a room or suite during the semester, it must be reported to a Resident Assistant immediately. S/he will work with all of the residents in the room or suite to identify the individual(s) responsible for the damage. Immediately following the closing of the residence hall in May, Facilities Operations, Custodial Services, and Residential Life personnel will conduct a round of closing inspections. All residents assigned to a room or suite will be held responsible for any damage found that is not cited on the opening RCR. If specific individuals are responsible, they must submit a letter to the Administrative Manager claiming complete responsibility, or every resident will be billed an equal amount. Residents will be billed for damages found in the room to which they have been officially assigned. Any room changes must be reported to and approved by the Office of Residential Life.

Repairs are to be conducted by University contractors or staff only. Anyone attempting unauthorized repairs in a suite or room will be charged the full cost of replacement or repair of the item(s) in question, regardless of the progress of the undertaking.

Community Building 
If a student or group of students can be identified as responsible, in whole or in part, for any act of vandalism against community or University property, they will be held accountable for damage charges. Stairwells, lobbies, entrance doors, lounges, laundry rooms, offices, basements, and elevators are examples of community areas. If a specific individual or group cannot be identified as the cause of physical damage to a residence hall, the assessments must be made against all individuals living in or near the area in question. For purposes of community billing, “area” is defined as building, house, wing, floor, suite, or room, depending on the circumstances and the residence hall.

Upon discovery of community damage or vandalism, the residents of the area in question will be informed of the activation of the community billing process through fliers posted throughout the area. The fliers will cite a deadline for the presentation of any evidence to the residence hall staff. If no individual(s) accept responsibility by the date posted on these fliers, applicable fines and/or charges, as outlined in fliers, will be distributed among all the residents of the area.

Resident students may be required to attend a mandatory wing, floor, or building meeting called by a Resident Assistant (RA) or Resident Director (RD) for purposes of addressing ongoing vandalism or damage patterns or incidents and to review community standards. Repeated acts of vandalism by unidentified parties may result in the allocation of work hours or other judicial sanctions against every resident of an area. Non-cooperation or obstruction of an investigation of an incident of vandalism may result in judicial sanctions ranging from residence hall probation to dismissal from the residence halls.

The Assistant Director of Residential Life for Housing Operations welcomes your ideas on facilitating a damage-free living environment.

Billing for damage assessments will take place after inspections, after the closing of the residence halls in the Spring, or on an as-needed basis. All charges will be placed directly on the student’s bursar account; bills will be sent to the student’s permanent address. Appeals for damage charges should be forwarded to the Administrative Manager for Damage Billing at

Standard Charges

General charges are listed here for your information. In community damage or vandalism cases in which the responsible party or parties are unidentified, a “per resident” charge is assigned. In cases of vandalism in which repair or replacement services are required, the full cost and a punitive fine will be distributed among the residents.


  • Floor and wall tiles | $25 per tile
  • Exhaust fans $180 | $250
  • Plumbing fixtures | up to $125
  • Toilet bowl | $125
  • Toilet seat | $25
  • Vanities | $75
  • Medicine Cabinets | $40 - $75
  • Mirrors | $75 - $100
  • Toilet or shower partition | $75 - $85
  • Shower curtain rod | $5
  • Shower curtain | $6
  • Towel bars | $35
  • NEC Phone Equipment
    • Telephone cable | $100 - $300
    • Telephone jack | $150
  • Wiremold | $50 - $100 per 5-foot section
  • Lobby/community phone | $175
  • Martyrs’ Court entrance intercom | $550
  • Outlet box broken | $35 plus labor
  • Molding broken or damaged | $25 plus labor


  • Broken window | $250
  • Broken lock/ non-University lock | $85
  • Blinds
    • Alumni Court North | $145
    • Alumni Court South | $145
    • Walsh Hall | $175
    • Finlay | $115
    • Belmont Community Housing | $60
    • Queens Court | $60
    • Tierney Hall | $100
    • O’Hare and Martyr’s Court | $100
  • Cable Splitter | $25 each
  • Window screen | $95 ACN and ACS
  • Portable window screen | $10
  • Shade | $70
  • Ceiling tiles | $50 per tile
  • Light fixtures | $50
  • Carpets| $25 per sq. yard
  • Tile | $15 per sq. foot
  • Room number plate | $15
  • Outlet | $25
  • Light switch | $25
  • Door | $250
  • Door bell or Peephole | $25
  • Hole in door | $40
  • Fix handles on closets, drawers, etc. | $35
  • Replace closet doorsn | $125
  • Appliance hardware (knobs, AC controls, etc.) | Billed accordingly
  • Door knobs | $75
  • Standard Charges
    • Excessive uncleanliness in community area | $5.00 per resident
    • Excessive uncleanliness in resident room/suit | $25 - $200
    • Item left behind $25 per item
    • Unauthorized University furniture in room/suite | $25 per piece of furniture
  • Lost key | $15 per key
  • Core change (required with lost key) | $35
  • Kitchen
    • Refrigerator | $550
    • Oven and stove | $350
    • Cabinets | $200
    • Drawer | $50
    • Countertops | $25 - $200

Safety and Security

  • Propping of entrance doors | $2.50 per resident
  • Tampering of fire safety equipment | $5.00 per resident
    • (this includes, but is not limited to, tampering with fire extinguishers, pull stations, smoke detectors, hoses, fire bells, system panels, etc.)
  • Fire Exit Signs | $170-$250
  • Damaged elevator doors/controls | up to $5.00 per resident
  • Obstructing stairwells | $2.50 per resident
  • Failure to evacuate during a fire drill | $25
  • Fire extinguisher | $60


  • Sofa | $674
  • Love seat | $559
  • Lounge chair | $384
  • Broken legs (couches, chairs, etc.) | $75
  • Reupholstering | $100 off new price
  • Coffee table | $159
  • End table | $129
  • Dining room table | $250
  • Dining room chair | $99
  • Wood desk chair | $89
  • Plastic desk chair | $49
  • Desk | $259
  • Desk carrels | $175
  • Desk drawer | $25
  • Mattress | $79
  • Bed frame | $200
  • Bed head board | $59 each
  • Dresser | $239
  • Wardrobe | $629
  • Bookcase | $119
 Painting Charges
  • Standard charge for one wall |$150
  • Entire bedroom | $300 ($375 Finlay)
  • Paint suite |$500
*For an updated and more extensive listing of charges, consult the list distributed at the opening of your residence hall or obtain a copy at the Office of Residential Life
*For the full text on Damage Billing, refer to your current copy of the Resident Handbook

PDF Forms

Damage Incident Report (pdf)
Damage Responsibility Form  (pdf)


Site  | Directories
Submit Search Request