Fordham University            The Jesuit University of New York

Information For Parents

A Letter From The OFFICE
Dear Fordham Parents,

On behalf of the entire Office of Residential Life staff, welcome to Fordham! We are very excited to welcome you, your sons, and your daughters to our Residential Life community.

The primary goal of the Office of Residential Life is to provide a comfortable, safe environment in which resident students are given the opportunity to extend their learning outside the classroom. We have highly-qualified Resident Directors and Resident Assistants in each of our residence halls who will serve as your son's or daughter's main campus resource. These staff members are committed to a vision of creating community with rights, respect, and responsibility. In this way, the staff will work with your sons and daughters and they will challenge them to reach their potential and become well-rounded men and women for and with others.

At the Office of Residential Life we recognize your important role, as parents and family members, in our community. As such, this newsletter is designed to provide you with the information you need about the different services in the Office of Residential Life. This newsletter also provides specific details about a number of significant processes in our office along with a list of administrators to call if you have specific questions or concerns. The Residential Life and University Policies that your sons and daughters will receive at their first floor meetings are attached below. I encourage you to review these policies with your sons and daughters in order to have a full understanding of Fordham's expectations for our students.

If we can be of any assistance to you or your sons and daughters throughout the upcoming year, please do not hesitate to contact us in the Office of Residential Life at (718) 817-3080.


Office of Residential Life

Resources For Parents
We understand that there may be times that you are concerned about your student or have a question about their experience here at Fordham. If these issues and questions do arise, please contact an administrator in the Office of Residential Life at 718-817-3080. We would be happy to work with you regarding a student issue and/or answer any questions you may have about a process in our office. While there are many staff members working out in the residence halls, the administrators in the Central Office are able to best meet parent/family needs. Please contact these administrators for the issues listed below:

Kimberly Russell - Director of Residential Life
  • Overall Departmental Concerns
Desmond Daniels - Associate Director for Judicial Affairs
  • Adjudication and Discipline Issues
  • Roommate Conflicts
  • Counseling Issues
Edward Peña - Assistant Director for Housing Operations
  • Housing Assignment Issues
  • Housing Lottery
  • Facilities Issues
  • Custodial Issues
Kelly Breiner - Assistant Director for Leadership Development and Training
  • Resident Directors
  • Resident Assistants
  • Desk Assistants
Where Can A Student Go For Assistance?
All of our residence halls are staffed by Resident Assistants (RAs) and Resident Directors (RDs). RAs are undergraduate student leaders who are charged with helping create a community in the hall. They are available to help students with personal, emotional and academic issues. They are also responsible for helping students uphold community standards and policies. Students should look to their RAs first when they have questions or concerns. RAs are on duty during weekday evenings and 24 hours on weekends. They are present in the Residence Hall Offices (RHOs) every evening from 6:00pm to 11:00pm (12:00am on Fridays and Saturdays).

RDs and Associate Resident Directors (ARDs) live in each building and lead the RA staff and the hall as a whole. RDs and ARDs are professional administrators in charge of each residence hall. RDs can be a valuable resource if students are having difficulty finding their RAs or need someone else to talk with.

Please note that RAs and RDs are the primary resources for your student. If you have any concerns or questions regarding the RA or RD staff, please contact the Office of Residential Life at 718-817-3080.

What If A Student Has An Emotional Or Psychological Need?
Students have an array of supportive staff in the Residence Halls to assist them in times of need. The first line of support is typically the RA, and students in any sort of emotional or psychological crisis are encouraged to seek the assistance of the RA living on their floor, wing, or house. The RD is also present in the hall and can assist at any time, but RAs are usually the first people withwhom students speak.

RAs and RDs are there to talk with students about problems developing during their time at Rose Hill. They are also well-versed on the professional resources available on campus to assist students in need. These resources include the Counseling and Psychological Services Office located on-campus, as well as Campus Ministry (for pastoral counseling), and RDs, Masters, and Faculty-in-Residence whose skills may be of assistance.

All of our work with students in need is kept in the strictest administrative confidentiality and only administrators and counselors at the university are made aware of student concerns on a "need-to-know" basis.

Parents are encouraged to contact Celia Taylor Mobley, the Associate Director of Residential Life for Judicial Affairs, with any inquiries or concerns about the emotional or psychological needs of students. This information may be helpful to have should crises arise during the year. The staff in the residence halls are also asked to forward inquiries to the Associate Director of Residential Life for Judicial Affairs.

What If My Student Lives In A Converted Triple?
Due to the fact that demand for University housing is high, some double rooms in Loschert Hall, Alumni Court South, Martyrs' Court and Queen's Court have been converted to triple rooms. Each student in a triple room will have his/her own bed, desk, and dresser; a special lofted bed has been placed in each room to accommodate the extra furniture. Students living in these converted rooms will pay a reduced rate while living with an additional roommate. All assignments were made based on the date the online housing card was submitted, and, as space becomes available in double and quad rooms, we will offer students assigned to the converted triples the opportunity to de-triple following the same priority. If one of the roommates move out of the triple room into a double or a quad, the housing rate will be recalculated and each student will be assessed the higher double/quad rate effective immediately.

What If My Student Has A Conflict With A Roommate?
We are aware that new living situation can bring with them new challenges for students. The Roommate Conflict Mediation Process is designed to maintain the safety of all who live in the halls and to help students resolve the conflicts they encounter with those with whom they live. It is the responsibility of all who live in our halls to take the lead role in addressing and working on conflicts they may experience, a life skill each Fordham resident may develop in their four years as a student. If a student's own efforts to resolve a conflict have not met with success or if they merely need support or guidance in approaching their roommate or suitemate, the hall staff are present to assist. All staff are extensively trained in helping residents with roommate conflicts and benefit from their own as well as supervisors' experience is handling these rather common situations.

If students cannot resolve a conflict on their own or just want advice, they should first speak to their RA about the conflict and solicit their advice. The RA can offer guidance for residents who plan to approach roommates or suitemates about conflicts and suggest strategies to begin discussion about the issues. Discussion between roommates or suitemates is the first step in the mediation process and is an important prerequisite for further intervention on the part of the staff.

Commonly, emotions in a conflict run high and sometimes interfere with immediate resolution. RAs are trained to mediate conflicts and will commonly call the roommates or suitemates together to discuss these problems in a civil and mediated environment.

Common conflicts include disputes over scheduled sleep, study, and socializing time in the room or suite; conflict over shared facilities and space in the room; and arguments related to the preferred levels of cleanliness or noise level.

After monitoring the progress of mediation, the RD (the RAs' supervisor) decides whether a room change for a student is in order or if more work should be done by the roommates or suitemates. Unless extraordinary circumstances exist (such as a threat to anyone involved) a room change will only be considered once the roommates or suitemates are judged to have made a good faith effort to resolve the conflict and only when the change has been requested by the student him or herself. Throughout the mediation process, the RA and RD meet to discuss the particulars of each case.

If at any time a resident feels threatened by something occurring in their room, they are urged to find either their RA, the RA on duty, or to call the Office of Residential Life (718-817-3080) or the Office of University Security (718-817-2222). The Roommate Conflict Mediation Process is not put into effect in instances where staff judge there to be a threat to roommates or suitemates.

The Associate Director of Residential Life for Judicial Affairs supervises the process and monitors mediation processes occurring in all Residence Halls. Please feel free to contact her with any inquiries or concerns about roommate conflicts. The staff in the residence halls are asked to forward inquiries to the Associate Director of Residential Life for Judicial Affairs.

What Is The Adjudication (Discipline) Process At Rose Hill?
The Adjudication Process at Fordham University's Rose Hill campus is meant to both maintain a civil and safe environment and to educate students as to their role as responsible members of the campus community.

When a student is observed in possible violation of the University Code of Conduct or Office of Residential Life Policy, they are referred by written report to a "hearing officer," typically their Resident Director. In more serious cases, the Associate Director for Judicial Affairs or the Dean of Student Life will conduct the hearing. The hearing officer will charge the student with the alleged violations and schedule a required judicial hearing.

At this hearing, the Adjudication process is explained, the policies he or she may have violated are discussed, and students are offered the opportunity to share their version of events. This meeting may also entail a review of the expectations the university has for students and their conduct.

After the hearing, the hearing officer gathers all needed information and makes a determination as to whether the student did indeed violate policy. If they did not, charges are dropped. If they did, students receive a sanction in the form of a letter. These sanctions are the way the university holds students responsible for their actions and seeks to educate them further about their responsibilities as members of Fordham's community. They typically include educational work such as hours assisting with campus programs or research papers. Some more serious violations can entail disciplinary probation and the most serious violations can result in dismissal from the halls or expulsion from the University. In addition, parents are notified when their sons or daughters violate some of the more serious policies.

Students are encouraged to confront irresponsible behavior and, barring that, to report such behavior to their RAs or other hall staff.

Please feel free to contact the Associate Director of Residential Life for Judicial Affairs with any inquiries or concerns about the Adjudication Process. The staff in the residence halls are also asked to forward inquiries to the Associate Director of Residential Life for Judicial Affairs.

To view the Residential Life policies, please view the Office of Residential Life handbook online by clicking here.

To view the University policies, please view the Student Handbook online by clicking here.

How Should A student Care For Their Room And How Is Damage Assessed?
The Office of Residential Life has undertaken a number of renovations over the past several years. Thefollowing guidelines have been established to reduceunnecessary and costly repairs in the future. With your help and cooperation, the physical quality of the residence halls can be sustained and greater capital developments within the residence hall system will be possible. Each student is responsible for the care and cleaning of his or her room, suite, or apartment. The room and its furnishings must be kept in presentable condition at all times. It is expected that students will be considerate of University property and will afford it the same care and treatment as their own personal or family property.

Room or suite decorations are certainly encouraged as a means of personalizing a living space. However, safety concerns necessarily limit the repertory of acceptable decorations. Because of the fire hazard, tapestries and other hangings on ceilings, doorways, over lights, from sprinkler heads, or from fire safety equipment are prohibited.

Students should attach memo boards, posters, and similar items to walls or doors using “fun tack.” All "fun tack" installed in living units must be removed from walls upon check-out. Please keep in mind that students will be billed for any chipping, peeling, or pock marks that may be sustained to room or suite walls and other surfaces. If a portion of a wall is damaged, the student(s) responsible will be billed for the painting of the entire wall and the cost is at least $100.00 per wall. Nails, thumbtacks, and tape are common causes of these problems. In fact, the use of double-sided tape is not permitted in the residence halls.

If a student or group of students can be identified as responsible, in whole or in part, for any act of vandalism against community or University property, they will be held accountable for damage charges. If a specific individual or group cannot be identified as the cause of physical damage to a residence hall, the assessments must be made against all individuals living in or near the area in question. Residents who damage community areas of a residence hall are strongly encouraged to present themselves to the residence hall staff and accept responsibility for their actions, thereby sparing their peers of unfair and unnecessary costs. Any resident who does come forward in such a manner may be billed solely for the cost of replacement or repair of the property in question.

Upon discovery of community damage or vandalism, the residents of the area in question will be informed of the activation of the community billing process through fliers posted throughout the area. The fliers will cite a deadline for the presentation of any evidence to the residence hall staff. If no individual(s) accept responsibility by the date posted on these fliers, applicable fines and/or charges, as outlined in fliers, will be distributed among all the residents of the area. Resident students may be required to attend a mandatory wing, floor, or building meeting called by a Resident Assistant (RA) or Resident Director (RD) for purposes of addressing ongoing vandalism or damage patterns or incidents and to review community standards. Repeated acts of vandalism by unidentified parties may result in the allocation of work hours or other judicial sanctions against every resident of an area. Non-cooperation or obstruction of an investigation of an incident of vandalism may result in judicial sanctions ranging from residence hall probation to dismissal from the residence halls.

Click here to see a list of billing codes that may appear on your student's bill and what damage the code indicates.
What Appliances And Items Are Not Allowed In The Halls?
For safety and security reasons, the following items are not allowed in Fordham's residence halls:
  • Anything with an open heating element
  • Hot plates/George Foreman Grills
  • Microwaves (except in Walsh and BCH)
  • Halogen lamps
  • Toasters and toaster ovens
  • Indoor grills
  • Space heaters
  • Air conditioners
  • Refrigerators larger than 4.0 cubic feet
  • Non-UL approved extension cords and surge protectors
  • Candles
  • Incense
  • Pets
What Is Freshman Core Programming?
We recognize that there are important issues incoming freshman need to discuss early in their first year. As a result, we have the Freshman Core Programming series. All freshman students are expected to attend three programs which address these topics: alcohol and drugs, security, and campus assault and relationship education. These programs at the Rose Hill Campus are offered within the first six weeks of Fall semester and are mandatory. Information will be presented to students at their first floor meetings and program dates and times will be posted throughout their hall. Students who choose not to attend all three programs will be placed in overflow housing during the lottery process and will not have the opportunity to select roomswith the rest of their class. We encourage you to discuss these important programs with your student.
What Housing Options are Available for Freshmen?
Housing options for Freshmen include the following residence halls: Queen’s Court Residential College (QCRC);
the Manresa Program in Martyrs' Court Jogues (MPMCJ); Martyrs' Court Goupil & Lalande; Alumni Court South, which contains both traditional housing and the Science Integrated Learning Community (SILC); Loschert Hall.  Information about all of these residence halls can be found here.

QCRC, MPMCJ and SILC are our specialized Integrated Learning Communities (ILCs) for first year students.  A brochure detailing these unique housing options will be mailed to you in April; you can also click here for more information.
When Does my student move in?
Freshman and Transfer Student move-in is in late August and is a coordinated effort between students, parents, and many University departments across campus.
Included in the August letter with your child'shousing assignment will be a move-in card indicating the time frame you should arrive to campus to move your daughter or son into her or his housing assignment.  Upon moving in, you will be invited to participate in a variety of Orientation activities; for details, please visit the Orientation Website here.

Returning Upperclass students move in early September.

Site  | Directories
Submit Search Request