Fordham University            The Jesuit University of New York

Back to Housing Information and Operations

Residence Halls Policies and Procedures


Residence Hall Policies and Procedures


Breaks: Winter/Spring
Cable Television
Custodial Services
Data/Internet Jacks
End of the Year Closing
Electrical Appliances

Facilities Operations/Repair Services

Furniture/University Property
Hall Sports
Intent to Vacate
Lounges/Space Reservations
Moving Carts

Occupation Reports
Room Changes/Roomate Conflicts
Room Condition Reports
Room Entry
Room Inspection
Room Vacancies
Damage Assessment

Because of safety hazards, barbecues are only permitted when approved by a Resident Director and supervised by a Residential Life staff member. Private barbecues are not permitted. Residents are not allowed to keep grills in the residence halls. 

Failure to Comply: Work hours, educational sanctions, or fines will be assigned to those who violate this policy.

Students living in University housing must abide by the Winter and Spring break closing policy. Students checking out late may be charged $25 per hour.

The residence halls are closed according to the following schedule:

Winter Break

  • Campbell, Salice-Conley and Off-Campus houses remain open
  • Walsh Hall closes during the period between Christmas and New Year's day, opening shortly thereafter. Postings in Walsh Hall will outline these dates and times
  • All other residence halls close for the entire duration of the break

Spring Break

  • Campbell, Salice-Conley and Off-Campus houses remain open
  • Walsh Hall remains open
  • All other residence halls close
Students who need to reside on-campus during a designated break period must contact a staff member and complete a sign-up form in advance. Walsh Hall and Off-Campus residents intending to remain in their units must sign up with their residence hall staff at least two weeks before the break begins. Students from other residence halls must find a willing host from Walsh Hall or Off-Campus housing at least two weeks prior to the vacation and submit this information to the Office of Residential Life.

It is not the responsibility of the Residential Life Staff to find housing for students during break periods, but the office will do its best to help the student seek out viable solutions. It is suggested that students prepare their accommodations well in advance.

Students remaining in a residence hall during a recess period and/or those students who ignore posted times by which they must vacate the hall may be charged a weekly fee to help cover staffing and other costs. It is suggested that students take all valuables home during the recess periods. Resident students should also be awar that visitation and over-night guest privileges are suspended during break periods.



The University installed cable television outlets in the living rooms of suites and in other campus living units. The cost for cable service on a one- television-peroutlet basis is included in room charges for all on-campus residents. In accordance with the cable television contract, the connection of more than one television unit to a single cable outlet by any means is strictly prohibited. Students are asked to be careful with cable service jacks, outlets, molding, and other items. Students will be assessed charges by the Office of Residential Life and may be subject to judicial action if cable television hardware in a given suite or bedroom is damaged or modified to splice cable service.

Check-In: A student moving into the residence hall is responsible for completing an emergency notification card, a key card, and a Room Condition Report (RCR) in cooperation with the Resident Assistant (RA). This report is kept on file in order to track possible damage during the year. 

Check-Out: A student, with approval, who changes rooms or leaves the residence hall is responsible for notifying the RA and the Housing Coordinator at the Office of Residential Life of the departure date. The student must then arrange to check out of his or her assignment with the RA and return his or her keys. 

Failure to Comply: Failure to leave the room as it was found will result in a damage assessment and possible disciplinary action. A charge of $15 will be assessed for each unreturned key, and a $35 charge for lock core changes will be assessed if a bedroom or suite door key is not returned (See KEYS). Students checking out late may be charged $25 per hour.

Cleaning Equipment: Each residence hall is stocked with a University vacuum cleaner, which is available to borrow at the Residence Hall Office (RHO) every evening from 6:30 to 9:15. Students must leave their identification cards with a staff member until the vacuum cleaner is returned. By vacuuming weekly, one can ensure a long life for a room’s carpet and maintain a pleasant living atmosphere.


The University provides custodial services for the common areas of each residence hall, including lounges, corridors, stairways, and community lavatories. This cleaning is conducted at scheduled times between the hours of 6:00 am and 2:30 PM. Students are expected to clean their own rooms and suites. This includes bathrooms, kitchens, and living rooms in Finlay Hall, Walsh Hall, O’Hare Hall and Off-Campus housing facilities.
To supplement the students’ own cleaning, the University will provide custodial services for the bathrooms in Finlay Hall, Walsh Hall, O’Hare Hall Arthur House and Terra Nova Houses and the kitchens in Walsh Hall, Arthur Houseand Terra Nova Houses once per year. The schedule for these cleanings will be available at least two weeks prior to the cleaning. All personal items must be removed from the bathroom and kitchen on the announced cleaning day. Failure to do so may result in judicial action and/or fines.
A Resident Director may assign cleaning charges for public areas that have been unnecessarily, excessively, or repeatedly littered or soiled (See RECYCLING). Both the Offices of Residential Life and Custodial Services conduct room inspections to ensure room cleanliness and safety. Students may be fined for the maltreatment of a room or University property. Large-scale damage or soiling of community areas like bathrooms and halls will elicit community or hall/wing/house meetings to discuss the incident and review expectations and community standards. Students may be required to clean soiled areas.


The University installed data outlets in each bedroom to provide individual access to the Internet through a cable modem. The cost for this service is assessed through the Technology Fee. Students are asked to be careful with the jacks, outlets, molding, and other items. Students will be assessed charges by the Office of Residential Life and may be subject to judicial action if data jack hardware is damaged. Students may not have their own wireless access points, which are subject to confiscation. 


Room or suite decorations are certainly encouraged as a means of personalizing a living space. However, safety concerns necessarily limit the repertory of acceptable decorations. Because of the fire hazard, tapestries and other hangings on ceilings, in doorways, over lights, from sprinkler heads, or from fire safety equipment are prohibited.
Students should attach memo boards, posters, and similar items to walls or doors using “fun tack.” All "fun tack" installed in living units must be removed from walls upon check-out.
Please keep in mind that students will be billed for any chipping, peeling, or pock marks that may be sustained to room or suite walls and other surfaces. If a portion of a wall is damaged, the student(s) responsible will be billed for the painting of the entire wall. Nails, thumbtacks, and tape are common causes of these problems. In fact, the use of double-sided tape is not permitted in the residence halls. Nails are never to be used. 
At the closing of the residence halls, all residents must clean their rooms and turn in their room keys. Failure to complete these steps will result in the assignment of a closing fine, which will be placed on the student’s bursar account. Residents should not leave trash or extra furniture in their rooms, or non-University property in their room or suite, and they should return all furniture to its original location and position (i.e. lower flipped beds, return couches to common room, etc.) Failure to do so will result in a closing fine. Failure to turn in all keys at check-out will result in a $15 charge per key and a charge of $35 to cover the cost of a lock core change. Late key returns will be accepted until June 1. All residents returning keys after this date will not be credited. Soon after a room is vacated, Facilities Operations and Residential Life will conduct an inspection of all rooms or suites. Residents will be held responsible for any damages found during that inspection that were not included on the RCR filed at opening.

Pest control should be everyone’s concern; cleanliness prevents infestation problems. All campus residence halls receive extermination services on a weekly basis for public areas and three times a year for student rooms. Off-campus units receive these services only as needed. If you have a problem with pests, call the Office of Facilities Operations at x4848 to place a work order.

Resident students must limit their choice of electrical appliances to those that are safest and are not likely to overload the electrical system in their residence hall. Acceptable appliances include irons, radios, stereos, small televisions, study lamps, electric razors, hair dryers, personal computers, coffee pots and hot pots with automatic cutoff elements and enclosed heating units.

Hot plates and other open electrical appliances are not permitted in the residence halls. Microwaves, halogen lamps, toasters, toaster ovens, indoor grills, space heaters and air conditioners are not permitted. George Forman Grills, Toaster Ovens, and Microwaves are prohibited except in Walsh or Off Campus Housing. Refrigerators larger than 4.0 cubic feet are only allowed in the kitchens of Walsh Hall and off-campus housing units. Adapters, which allow many items to be plugged into an outlet at the same time, are prohibited. If extension cords are used, they should be approved and listed with Underwriter Laboratories (UL) and designated "heavy duty." The use of many electrical appliances at the same time may cause electrical fires. The Office of Residential Life advises the use of surge protectors. Since electrical surges may occur from time to time, the Office of Residential Life does not assume liability for damage caused by electrical surges.

Failure to Comply: Prohibited electrical equipment will be confiscated and a warning, educational sanction, fine, or other disciplinary action may be taken.

Elevators are a convenience for all residents in Alumni Court North, Alumni Court South, Finlay Hall, Hughes Hall, O’Hare Hall and Walsh Hall. These elevators deserve the best of care, given the fact that large numbers of people depend upon them and use them everyday. Overloading or manually holding the doors open will cause the elevators to malfunction. Please observe capacity regulations posted in the elevators and use the "open door" button in order to hold the door. Elevator repairs are expensive and will be assumed by the residents of the building in question in cases of vandalism.  Elevators subject to vandalism or misuse may be placed out of operation if necessary.

The Office of Facilities Operations is administered separately from the Office of Residential Life, but this staff is responsible for many of the services you will receive as a resident student this year. The Office of Facilities Operations is located in Room 106 of Faculty Memorial Hall and is open 8:00AM-4:30 PM weekdays. You may call ext. 4848 to complete a work request for the repair of University property or fixtures within your room. Such requests are honored in order of urgency.

Your cooperation with the Facilities and housekeeping staffs is important; such efforts make it easier for these personnel to promptly attend to problems and efficiently maintain your building. From time to time, Facilities staff members require access to student rooms and suites for repair and maintenance purposes. It will not always be possible to notify students in advance of such visits, but staff members will always identify themselves and knock before entering a room.

Students should not appropriate University property for private use in their rooms, apartments, or suites. Lounge furniture and other University property have been purchased for community use and must remain inside the lounge at all times. 

Failure to Comply:
 Violators will be given an educational sanction or a $25 fine for the first offense and will be subject to further fines or judicial sanctions if University property remains in their possession or reappears in personal rooms, suites, or apartments.

Hall sports are dangerous to participants and bystanders alike. Such activities often result in damage to the residence hall as well. Noise and obstructions negatively impact the community atmosphere of the residence hall. Sports activities in community areas, bedrooms, suites, and apartments are therefore prohibited.

Failure to Comply: Violators will be subject to work hours, educational sanctions, fines, or other judicial sanctions.

Housing Agreements are binding from August through May. However, circumstances may sometimes necessitate the cancellation of an Agreement after the fall semester. When this is the case, the Intent to Vacate process must be followed. In November, the Office of Residential Life will distribute information about procedures that enable a resident student to terminate his or her contract prior to January. It is the responsibility of the resident student to complete all the necessary paperwork, meet all deadlines, and complete proper checkout procedures.

Students who terminate their Agreements at this time are also responsible for informing their suitemates or roommates of their intentions to vacate. The Office of Residential Life may not be able to contact roommates during periods of high activity. We encourage continuous communication among roommates and suitemates to avoid misunderstandings.

Each student will be issued a room key, a suite key (when applicable), and a front door key (when applicable) upon arrival to the residence hall. Students must return keys to their residence hall staff when they move out of their assignment. A fine of $15 per key will be assigned if a student fails to return room, suite or entrance keys. Students who lose a room or suite key must also pay an additional $35 to cover the cost of replacement for the lock core.

At checkout, credit will not be given for: 
(1) keys returned after June 1 
(2) keys returned improperly (i.e. mailed to Residential Life or slid under a Resident Assistant's door).

Requests for the replacement of lost keys must be made in person at the Office of Residential Life between the hours of 9:00 A.M. and 4:30 P.M. Students need to show proper identification and will be charged $15 per new key and $35 for a lock core change. Students found with duplicate keys or keys other than their own may be subject to fines or judicial action.  

As in life outside the University, students are responsible for carrying their keys at all times. Resident students who are locked out of their rooms on a weekday may sign out a key at the Office of Residential Life (ACN Basement) from 9:00 am to 4:30 PM. This key must be promptly returned.

Between the hours of 6:30 PM and 9:15 PM, the Resident Assistant on duty will honor your lockout request in the Residence Hall Office (RHO). The Resident Assistant on-duty will also be available in his or her room on weekend mornings and afternoons for lockout services. Lockout policies and procedures for late hours vary by residence hall; you may wish to contact a residence hall staff member about your building's late hours lockoutpolicy.

Students who are repeatedly locked out of their rooms may be subject to fines or judicial action. After the first three lockouts, a student will be given an educational sanction or charged a fine not to exceed $25, which willbe placed on the student's bursar account.

Individually constructed lofts, unlike the existing ones inFinlay Hallor in converted triple rooms, are prohibited by law, violate fire codes, and are generally unsafe. In light of these factors, such structures are prohibited in the residence halls.  This prohibition includes the creation of lofts through the arrangement of stacked desks, dressers, or other furniture. Any construction that is not University sponsored will be dismantled and repaired at the cost of the student. No cinder blocks are allowed in the residence halls.

A lottery is held each Spring to determine the allocation of space for the following year. The established guidelines for obtaining housing are published by the Office of Residential Life early in the Spring semester. Watch carefully for notices distributed and posted in the residence halls. To complete your application and enter the lottery process, you must submit the deposit a by the deadline.

Those students who were not permitted to participate in the Housing Lottery because of ineligibility, disciplinary reasons, or a late filing of application materials will be assigned a room through the Post-Lottery process.

Lounges and community spaces in the residence halls exist for the benefit of the building's resident students and their residence hall staff. The Office of Residential Life has established guidelines for their use. Registration requests for the use of a lounge must be made in writing to the Assistant Dean of Students/Director of Residential Life. Clubs and organizations are not permitted to use residence hall lounges and may not conduct meetingsor other events in the residence halls without permission from the Office of Residential Life.

Residential Life relies on the ability to openly communicate and efficiently deliver important information to all residents. Your residence hall staff will, from time to time, announce mandatory floor or house meetings and programs. Students are required to attend such events. Advance notice for such meetings will be given. If you cannot attend the floor meeting or program, arrangements must be made in advance with your RA.

A small number of moving carts are owned by the University to assist students moving in and out of O’Hare and Walsh Halls. These carts are provided as a matter of convenience at the beginning and end of each semester when the Resident Assistant ison duty. Please be considerate of other students and return the carts as soon as possible. All carts must be signed out and a form of ID left with the Resident Assistant.

Your residence hall staff tracks vacancies in your building. This information would be needed in the event of fire and other emergencies and helps the Office of Residential Life maintain accurate lists and records. Students are therefore required to cooperate with Resident Assistants in accurately completing Occupancy Reports at any time during the semester. Failure to attend mandatory first floor meetings (at which Occupancy Reports are signed) obligate students to seek out their Resident Assistant or the Resident Assistant on duty.

Failure to Comply: Forging a signature or providing inaccurate information will lead to disciplinary action or dismissal from the residence halls.

While originality is an important value to the residence hall community, it must be limited to spheres of activity that do not include the painting of any University property or facility. This policy includes, but is not limited to, the painting of murals and the hanging of wallpaper or borders.

For the sake of cleanliness and safety in the rooms and hallways, students are not permitted to own, possess, or care for pets or other animals of any kind in the residence halls.

Failure to Comply: Residents found with animals in their custody will be subject to disciplinary action and will be required to immediately remove the pets.

Fordham University has committed itself to New York City's recycling efforts and guidelines. Resident students are in a position to assure or deny University compliance with recyclinglaws and will,therefore, be held accountable for their actions. The Office of Residential Life hopes you view the recycling policies as ecologically necessary measures.

Each building is equipped with three kinds of refuse receptacles, in recycling rooms. 
The locations of these sites are:

  • Alumni Court South Trash rooms
  • Finlay Hall Trash rooms
  • Walsh Hall Trash rooms
  • Tierney Hall First, second floors (east)
  • Martyrs' Court Trash rooms
  • Queen's Court Robert's Hall, 2nd & 3rd floor
  • Hughes Hall Trash rooms
  • O'Hare Hall Trash rooms
  • The scheme for garbage separation is as follows:

    I. RECYCLABLES (must be washed)

    • Plastic bottles or jugs (detergent, juice, milk, water, etc.)
    • Glass bottles (juice, wine, etc.)
    • Metal cans (tuna, soup, etc.)
    • Aluminum foil trays (pie pans, take-out trays)
    • 5 cent deposit cans and bottles


    • Newspaper, magazines, catalogues
    • Corrugated cardboard, flattened boxes


    • Styrofoam, plastic-coated paper
    • Plastic bags, wrap or film
    • Plastic utensils, trays
    • Cups, bowls, lids, plates
    • Aerosol cans, pump sprays
    • Light bulbs, mirrors, books
    • Smooth gray cardboard, white paper
    • Envelopes and shopping bags
    It is the resident student's responsibility 
    (1) to remove trash from his or her room, apartment or suite, 
    (2) to separate the material into the above categories, and
    (3) to properly dispose of the material in the designated areas. Trash deposited in hallways, bathrooms, or other inappropriate locations will be removed at the cost of the resident(s).

    Failure to Comply: Educational sanctions, fines or judicial measures may be assigned to those who fail to cooperate with the community's recycling efforts. For community billing provisions, see Damage Billing. If a floor, wing, building or area fails to collectively abide with the recycling policy at any given time, a "per person" fine of no less than $5.00 and no more than $50 may be assigned.


    Fordham University’s community is one that protects an individual’s rights and ensures that he or she is afforded respect. It is also a community that assigns
    responsibility to its members. Part of a Fordham education is learning to live with
    others and this is one of the responsibilities that our community expects its members
    to uphold. In times when disagreements and conflicts arise, members of the Residence Hallstaff are prepared to assist.

    In general, when a conflict arises in the room/suite, you should:

    • Make an effort to resolve the conflict yourself. Take the time to share the problem with your roommate(s). If this is an uncomfortable situation or if you run into problems, seek out your Resident Assistant (RA) for advice. The RAs are trained to help with these situations and have the experience of living in the halls behind them.
    • If your efforts are still unsuccessful, approach your RA about mediating the conflict. RAs are trained to help mediate and can set up a meeting with you and your roommate(s) to help get a dialogue started about the problem. RAs will consult with your hall’s Resident Director (RD) about the mediation. RDs may also conduct more serious mediation themselves.
    • If the above steps are unsuccessful, ask your RA about securing a Room Change. The RA can describe the process and contact the Resident Director. It is the Resident Director who must authorize any room change, and he or she will consult with your RA and with you about your request only after the above-described steps have been taken
    Once the RD has come to a decision about whether your request for a Room Change is warranted, the RD helps you begin the administrative process through the Office of Residential Life. Your RD will do her or his best to come up with an agreeable new living situation for all parties concerned. Please keep in mind that the RD can only entertain requests from students who are themselves interested in moving, not in having others moved on their behalf. Exceptions to this policy are made in situations which Office of Residential Life staff members determine as threatening. In addition, room change requests made for reasons of race, creed, color, religion, age, parental status, sexual orientation, citizenship status, veteran status, disability or nationality will not be examined. 

    Parents and others concerned with specific roommate conflicts should contact the Associate Director of Residential Life for Judicial Affairs. Hall Staff (Resident Assistants and Resident Directors) will refer all queries to the Associate Director. Requests for assistance with roommate conflicts made by parents or others on behalf of students will elicit approach to the student by hall staff. The Associate Director will also answer questions and explain the roommate conflict mediation process. Students seeking authorization for room changes must obtain the Resident Director’s signature on a Room Change Request form. Students should bring the signed document to the Office of Residential Life in order to explore available room options with the Housing Coordinator. When a new room is selected, you must arrange with your new Resident Assistant to complete a check-in RCR and with your former Resident Assistant to complete a checkout RCR. The Housing Coordinator will assign a date for picking up keys to the new assignment; this date will always be on a Friday. Old keys must be returned by the following Monday. Students moving from one residence hall to another must report to the ID Office in Faculty Memorial Hall to update their ID card. (Please bring a copy of your Room Change Form.)  Students may not change bedrooms within a given suite or residence hall without properly applying for a room change with the Office of Residential Life. 

    Failure to Comply: 
    Judicial sanctions will be allocated against those who have changed their housing units without proper permission from the Resident Director and the Office of Residential Life.  No Room Change requests can be examined between opening day and October 1. This “room freeze” period is set aside so that residents take the time to thoroughly appraise their residence hall environment before making a change.  Experience has shown that taking the time to think about a change, to get used to a living situation and to work on any early disagreements that may arise with roommates is of greater benefit than a quick decision tochange housing.

    Learning to live in new surroundings and with new people is part of the education Fordham affords. RAs and RDs are trained to help with this educational process. Later, in the weeks before and during Housing Lottery, room change requests will again be deferred to facilitate the orderly allocation of new housing assignments for the upcoming academic year.

    See Damage Assessment

    In order to ensure a safe and secure living environment for all students, the University (Residential Life staff, Security, etc.) reserves the right to make reasonable entry to a student’s residence unit without consent for the following purposes:
  • safety inspections, facility repairs, general housekeeping, occupancy/room checks and other similar administrative or operational purposes;
  • evidence of emergency situations such as screams for help or present danger, smoke, fire, flooding, obnoxious odors;
  • reasonable suspicion of medical emergencies;
  • replacement or movement of University property, including that which has been misappropriated or relocated without authorization; disorderly conduct, unreasonable noise levels, and activities/conduct that are prohibited by the Residential Life Handbook, Student Handbook and Residence Hall Agreement.
  • Any authorized University official or agent can make entry after knocking and after no response for a reasonable lapse of time.

    Residential Life and facilities staff members must inspect each residence hall room several times a year. We will do our best tonotify you when we will be inspecting rooms, however, we may need to enter your room when you are not present. In addition to the Room Condition Report (RCR), which establishes in writing the physical state of a room or suite at check-in, three mid-year room inspections are conducted by your residence hall staff. The following policy violations may result in fines assessed without a judicial hearing: presence of unauthorized university property, candles/incense, cablesplice, smoking, halogen lamps, dartboards, tapestries, and illegal appliances. The unauthorized appropriation of community property, such as lounge furniture, for personal use ina private room or suite would also constitute grounds for a fine or other judicial sanction. All such fines and charges will beplaced on students’ bursar account and students will receive a letter detailing the charges. Fines from violations found in thecommon areas within the suite will be split among all suite residents; fines from violations found in bedrooms will be split among all bedroom residents.

    During the Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Spring Breaks, Resident Assistants (RAs) will perform an inspection of every room and suite. Students will be held responsible for uncleanliness and any damages to University property that might be identified during these inspections.

    The central office staff arranges changes in housing assignments, including the allocation of empty beds. The Housing Coordinator on an ongoing basis will assign any openings in rooms, suites, or apartments to new students. Students living in a unit with an opening may request roommate(s) to assume the empty place(s).  When such requests are not submitted to the Housing Coordinator, a new student(s) will be assigned to move-in with resident(s) already living in the unit.

    In keeping with the principles of fairness and social concern that guide community living in the residence halls, resident students should welcome new roommates or suitemates. In fact, if a student is found to be difficult with a new roommate or suitemate or actively seeks to create a hostile environment for a new roommate or suitemate, the resident may be subject to disciplinary action, including
    possible relocation or dismissal. In the event of vacancies in a multi-person occupied room, the remaining students may be required to vacate the current room/suite and be assigned to another room/suite. In such an event, charges and fees may be adjusted accordingly.

    The telephone connection fee is included in the room rate for all on-campus residence halls. All student rooms are configured with one active telephone jack (supporting a telephone or modem/fax) as well as a cable modem /jack. Residents must use their own telephone instruments. Telephones used on the system must be touch-tone and utilize standard MF/outpulsing; any AT&T phone has these options. The university phone service allows students to call other extensions on campus or at the Lincoln Center and Marymount campuses. To call a number off campus, students must call collect or use a calling card. A Voice Mail Help Line (x5111) has been established to assist with questions regarding Call Forward features, Voice Mail, and Call Waiting.

    Community Living

    Fordham University operates its residence hall system under the premise that resident students are a part of a community within the residence hall; resident students are much more than boarders. As members of a residential community, students engage in social interaction, pursue common educational and other goals, and demonstrate concern and sensitivity for their peers.

    Social responsibility plays its part in the damage assessment process. If someone damages something and another resident student knows about it, it is the student's responsibility as a member of the building’s community to report the matter to the residence hall staff. The maintenance of a vandalism-free environment is, in the final analysis, the task of individuals living in each building, not a far-off external authority. Resident Assistants (RAs), Desk Assistants (DAs) and Watchman Guards are dedicated to facilitating safety and security within the residence hall, but residents mustdo their parts by confronting or reporting situations such as the following: strangers in the building, students or others damaging the building, and/or University policy violations, as outlined in this publication or the Student Handbook.

    The Process of Damage Assessment

    Each resident student is responsible for examining and signing a Room Condition Report (RCR) upon arrival to the residence halls. The RCR is a record of the conditions of a student’s room or suite at move-in. The form is initially filled out by a Resident Assistant prior to the resident's arrival. At check-in, the student will receive a copy of the RCR. At this time, the student is to examine his or her room, suite, or apartment and compareits conditions with the comments found on the RCR form. If the student feels anything on the form is incorrect or any information about the room's condition is missing, this data should be added to the form. Within the first three days of your arrival, a resident mustsign his/her RCR form.

    The RCR document protects the student from charges for damages that precede the student’s arrival and ensures that the student can be held responsible for any damages incurred during occupancy. At opening, the Office of Residential Life will distribute a list of approximate costs for the replacement or repair of University fixtures, furniture, and other items. This list of charges is also available at the Office of Residential Life and in the Residential Life Handbook (p. 60). The charges outlined in this document are subject to change as repair and replacement charges change. These charges may also vary by residence hall, as repair and replacement cost factors vary in each building. General charges are listed at the end of the “Damage Assessment” section of this publication. Copies of contractors’ bills will be made available tostudents with any questions aboutthe billing process. Fines, in addition to damagecharges, may be levied in damage cases that adversely affect the safety of a building. Fire and security equipment is an example of University property that would fall under this modeof protection. Over the course of the academic year, the residence hall staff conducts several inspections of student rooms and suites.  These inspections will usually be announced a few days in advance. Residents need not be present at the time of inspection. Staff members will note any damage as well as illegal appliances (as defined in this publication), pets, excessive uncleanliness, etc. 
    Damage charges and/or judicial fines will be placed on the student’s bursar account.

    Following these inspections, Facilities may employ contractors to correct or repair any damages. If damage occurs in a room or suite during the semester, it must be reported to a Resident Assistant immediately. He or she will work with all of the residents in the room or suite to identify the individual(s) responsible for the damage.  Immediately following the closing of the residence hall in the Spring, Facilities Operations, Custodial Services, and Residential Life personnel will conduct a round of closing inspections. Students will be held responsible for damages found in this round of inspections that are not cited on the opening RCR. All residents assigned to the room or suite are responsible for any damage found. If specific individuals are responsible, they must submit a letter to the Administrative Manager claiming complete responsibility, or every resident will be billed an equal amount. Residents will be billed for damages found in the room to which they have been officially assigned. Any room changes must be reported to and approved by the Office of Residential Life.

    Residents are not given the option of executing their own repairs to University rooms or suites. Spackling, painting, re-carpeting, carpentry, and other repairs are to be conducted by University contractors or staff only. Anyone attempting unauthorized repairs in a suite or room will be charged the full cost of replacement or repair of the item(s) in question, regardless of the progress of the

    Community Building 

    If a student or group of students can be identified as responsible, in whole or in part, for any act of vandalism against community or University property, they will be held accountable for damage charges. Stairwells, lobbies, entrance doors, lounges, laundry rooms, offices, basements, and elevators are examples of community areas. If a specific individual or group cannot be identified as the cause of physical damage to a residence hall, the assessments must be made against all individuals living in or near the area in question. For purposes of community billing, “area” is defined as building, house, wing, floor, suite, or room, depending on the circumstances and the residence hall. For example, if there is anonymous damage to a bathroom in a clearly defined wing, all individuals living on that wing will be charged standard or actual repair costs and a punitive fine. In cases of floors with no clearly defined wings, the entire floor will be billed.

    Residents who damage community areas of a residence hall are strongly encouraged to present themselves to the residence hall staff and accept responsibility for their actions, thereby sparing their peers of unfair and unnecessary costs. Any resident who does come forward in such a manner may be billed solely for the cost of replacement or repair of the property in question.

    Upon discovery of community damage or vandalism, the residents of the area in question will be informed of the activation of the community billing process through fliers posted throughout the area. The fliers will cite a deadline for the presentation of any evidence to the residence hall staff. If no individual(s) accept responsibility by the date posted on these fliers, applicable fines and/or charges, as outlined in fliers, will be distributed among all the residents of the area.

    Resident students may be required to attend a mandatory wing, floor, or building meeting called by a Resident Assistant (RA) or Resident Director (RD) for purposes of addressing ongoing vandalism or damage patterns or incidents and to review community standards. Repeated acts of vandalism by unidentified parties may result in the allocation of work hours or other judicial sanctions against every resident of an area. Non-cooperation or obstruction of an investigation of an incident of vandalism may result in judicial sanctions ranging from residence hall probation to dismissal from the residence halls.

    The Assistant Director of Residential Life for Housing Operations welcomes your ideas on facilitating a damage-free living environment.


    Billing for damage assessments will take place after inspections, after the closing of the residence halls in the Spring, or on an as-needed basis. All charges will be placed directly on the student’s bursar account; bills will be sent to the student’s permanent address. Appeals for damage charges should be forwarded to the Administrative Manager for Damage Billing at

    Standard Charges

    General charges are listed here for your information. In community damage or vandalism cases in which the responsible party or parties are unidentified, a “per resident” charge is assigned. In cases of vandalism in which repair or replacement services are required, the full cost and a punitive fine will be distributed among the residents.


    • Floor and wall tiles | $25 per tile
    • Exhaust fans $180 | $250
    • Plumbing fixtures | up to $125
    • Toilet bowl | $125
    • Toilet seat | $25
    • Vanities | $75
    • Medicine Cabinets | $40 - $75
    • Mirrors | $75 - $100
    • Toilet or shower partition | $75 - $85
    • Shower curtain rod | $5
    • Shower curtain | $6
    • Towel bars | $35
    • NEC Phone Equipment
      • Telephone cable | $100 - $300
      • Telephone jack | $150
    • Wiremold | $50 - $100 per 5-foot section
    • Lobby/community phone | $175
    • Martyrs’ Court entrance intercom | $550
    • Outlet box broken | $35 plus labor
    • Molding broken or damaged | $25 plus labor


    • Broken window | $250
    • Broken lock/ non-University lock | $85
    • Blinds
      • Alumni Court North | $145
      • Alumni Court South | $145
      • Walsh Hall | $175
      • Finlay | $115
      • Belmont Community Housing | $60
      • Queens Court | $60
      • Tierney Hall | $100
      • O’Hare and Martyr’s Court | $100
    • Cable Splitter | $25 each
    • Window screen | $95 ACN and ACS
    • Portable window screen | $10
    • Shade | $70
    • Ceiling tiles | $50 per tile
    • Light fixtures | $50
    • Carpets| $25 per sq. yard
    • Tile | $15 per sq. foot
    • Room number plate | $15
    • Outlet | $25
    • Light switch | $25
    • Door | $250
    • Door bell or Peephole | $25
    • Hole in door | $40
    • Fix handles on closets, drawers, etc. | $35
    • Replace closet doorsn | $125
    • Appliance hardware (knobs, AC controls, etc.) | Billed accordingly
    • Door knobs | $75
    • Standard Charges
      • Excessive uncleanliness in community area | $5.00 per resident
      • Excessive uncleanliness in resident room/suit | $25 - $200
      • Item left behind $25 per item
      • Unauthorized University furniture in room/suite | $25 per piece of furniture
    • Lost key | $15 per key
    • Core change (required with lost key) | $35
    • Kitchen
      • Refrigerator | $550
      • Oven and stove | $350
      • Cabinets | $200
      • Drawer | $50
      • Countertops | $25 - $200

    Safety and Security

    • Propping of entrance doors | $2.50 per resident
    • Tampering of fire safety equipment | $5.00 per resident
      • (this includes, but is not limited to, tampering with fire extinguishers, pull stations, smoke detectors, hoses, fire bells, system panels, etc.)
    • Fire Exit Signs | $170-$250
    • Damaged elevator doors/controls | up to $5.00 per resident
    • Obstructing stairwells | $2.50 per resident
    • Failure to evacuate during a fire drill | $25
    • Fire extinguisher | $60


    • Sofa | $674
    • Love seat | $559
    • Lounge chair | $384
    • Broken legs (couches, chairs, etc.) | $75
    • Reupholstering | $100 off new price
    • Coffee table | $159
    • End table | $129
    • Dining room table | $250
    • Dining room chair | $99
    • Wood desk chair | $89
    • Plastic desk chair | $49
    • Desk | $259
    • Desk carrels | $175
    • Desk drawer | $25
    • Mattress | $79
    • Bed frame | $200
    • Bed head board | $59 each
    • Dresser | $239
    • Wardrobe | $629
    • Bookcase | $119
    Painting Charges
    • Standard charge for one wall |$150
    • Entire bedroom | $300 ($375 Finlay)
    • Paint suite |$500
    For an updated and more extensive listing of charges, consult the list distributed at the opening of your residence hall or obtain a copy at the Office of Residential Life.

    Site  | Directories
    Submit Search Request