FAQs for Commuters


Where can I get a parking permit?  How much does it cost?

Parking permits are available at the Public Safety office in the Thebaud Annex.  They are $560 for the year for commuting students, or $12 per day.


How can I get involved on campus?

One of the best ways to get involved on campus is to sign up for one of the clubs at one of our club fairs, held the first day of classes during the activity period.  This year the Club Fair is Wednesday, September 3, 2014 at 2 p.m. around Edwards’ Parade.  The Commuting Student Association (CSA) is one of the student governments and is especially designed for commuting students.  Their general assembly meetings are at 1 p.m. on Mondays in the McGinley Center and they typically host events on Tuesdays and Thursdays at 5:30 p.m.


What kinds of programs are offered for commuters?

All of the programs offered on campus are available to commuting and resident students.  CSA and the Commuter Assistances plan some events specifically for commuters (but at which resident students are welcome).  CSA also plans events in conjunction with the Residence Halls Association (RHA).  These include sporting events, Broadway shows, and other events out in the city.


What kinds of resources are available for commuters?

The Commuting Student Services office is located in McGinley 204.  The Assistant Director for Leadership and Commuter Student Services works there and is the point person for all commuter questions.  Commuter Students Services puts out a regular newsletter with information for commuters on events, services, and programs.  All commuters will also be assigned a Commuter Assistant (CA) that will be available to them to answer questions and provide guidance.  Commuters also have access to the Student Lounge, in the lower level of McGinley where there are TVs, magazines, internet access, and couches to use in between classes.  “Commuters in the Cafe” gives free breakfast Tuesday mornings to commuters between 8-10 a.m. 


What kinds of meal plans are offered?  How much do they cost?

Sodexo offers a variety of meal plans designed specifically for commuters.  The Block Plans are available for Rose Hill Commuters and entitles you to meals in the Marketplace and Declining Balance to be used at any of the retail locations throughout the University!


  • The 120 - This plan allows you to eat 120 meals in the Marketplace at your leisure and in addition you receive $125 DCB. $1,050 per semester
  • The 90 - This plan allows you to eat 90 meals in the Marketplace at your leisure and in addition you receive $75 DCB. $787 per semester
  • The 60 - This plan allows you to eat 60 meals in the Marketplace at your leisure and in addition you receive $50 DCB. $530 per semester

Declining Balance (DCB)

For our customers who are not required to participate in a meal plan, we offer a debit style meal plan. When you open a “Declining Cash Balance Account (DCB)”, we will enhance your deposit, regardless of the amount, with an additional cash value of 5%. Furthermore, the plan entitles you to be tax exempt.


The Recession Buster Special:

Pay $90 receive $100 DCB

Pay $135 receive $150 DCB

Pay $175 receive $200 DCB

*5% Bonus not included in Recession Buster Specials



What is the guest pass policy?

Commuting students are able to visit their classmates in the residence halls any time between the hours of 6 a.m. and 3:30 a.m. by having their host sign them in at the building entrance with the Desk Assistant or Watchman Guard.  If a commuter wishes to stay the night in the residence hall, they may do so with a member of the same sex if a guest pass is requested.  Guest passes must be requested at the Residence Hall Office (RHO) between the hours of 6:30 p.m. and 9:15 p.m. or in the room of the duty RA between 9:15 p.m. and 11 p.m.  Resident hosts are encouraged to request guest passes a day in advance.  


How do I get to campus?

Fordham is accessible via the Metro North (Fordham stop), D and 4 lines (Fordham Road), and the Bx9 and Bx12 buses.


How do I find out if classes are cancelled?

In the event that classes are cancelled, due to inclement weather conditions, The Office of the Vice President for Administration will post a recorded Message on 1-800-280-SNOW. Fordham University's radio station, WFUV-FM (90.7) will also announce the information every 15 minutes.


What do I do in the event of an emergency?

Your first phone call should be to the Office of Safety and Security, 718.817.2222 or x2222 from a campus phone.  Below are some other important phone numbers to have on hand.


Important Contacts and Phone Numbers

Christopher Rodgers, Dean of Students at Rose Hill

Keating Hall 100 (718) 817-4755


Alanna Nolan, Assistant Dean for Student Leadership and Community Development

McGinley Center 204 (718) 817-4339


Sarah Horrax, Assistant Director for Leadership and Commuter Student Services

McGinley Center 211 (718) 817-4372


Claudia Marin Andrade, Director of the Alcohol and Other Drug Education Program

McGinley Center 217 (718) 817-3948


Sofia Bautista Pertuz, Assistant Dean for Multicultural Programs

McGinley Center 215 (718) 817-4738


Jeffrey Ng, Director of Counseling and Psychological Services

O’Hare Hall North Wing (718) 817-3736


Kathleen Malara, Director of Health Services

O’Hare Hall, Lower Level (718) 817-4160


Site   | Directories
Submit Search Request