Fordham University            The Jesuit University of New York

Fordham School of Professional and Continuing Studies and Gabelli School of Business Evening Students

(Formerly Fordham College of Liberal Studies)

 What Do I Need To Do To Apply For Aid?


  • File the FAFSA

Filing the FAFSA is the first step to determining your eligibility for all state and federal aid programs. Follow the steps below to complete your FAFSA:

  • Secure a Student Federal Aid Pin number at .
  • Complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at .
  • You will receive a Student Aid Report (SAR) via email. Keep this for your records.
  • Do not submit any documents to Student Financial Services unless specifically requested. You will be notified of documentation required by Student Financial Services.


  • Apply for New York State Tuition Assistance Program ( TAP)
    (New York State Residents Only)

TAP funding is determined by the New York state legislature annually. We suggest all New York state residents studying full time apply for TAP. However, there is a possibility that TAP will not be funded for graduate students in 2011-2012.

Upon completion of your FAFSA, you will receive a submission confirmation. If you are a NYS resident and listed Fordham on your FAFSA, you will immediately be prompted to complete your TAP application. You can also file the TAP application on the web anytime at HESC’s website ( ). See page 3 of this guide for further details about TAP.


  • Complete the Financial Aid Application Below

The Online School of Profesional and Continuing Studies and Gabelli School of Business Evening Application is at the bottom of this page. Please read the details about the Stafford Loan listed on this page before you complete the request form.


  • Ensure You Meet the Academic & Enrollment Criteria for Federal Loans

 To be eligible for aid, you must be:

  • accepted and matriculated in a degree granting program
  • enrolled at least half-time
  • making satisfactory academic progress


For information on Government Grants that you may be eligible for:

  • Pell
  • Tution Assistance Program (TAP)
  • Aid for Part-Time Study (APTS)

University Grant In Aid

Minimum Award: $500

Maximum Award: $3800 for Full-Time

Fordham offers University grant funding to students in the Fordham School of Professional and Continuing Studies and Gabelli School of Business based on the number of credits for which a student is enrolled each term, GPA, financial need and availability of funds

What do I need to do in order to be considered for the grant?

  • File a FAFSA.
  • Send in your completed Financial aid Application on page 6 of this guide.
  • Enroll in at least six credits.

These grants are renewable each year as long as students are making satisfactory academic progress (as defined by their program of study), are enrolled at least half time and have a valid FAFSA. The amount of a student’s grant may be lowered if they demonstrate a lower financial need (as determined on FAFSA) or if they enroll for fewer credits.

Federal Direct Subsidized/Unsubsidized Loan Information for 2011-2012 Academic Year

Annual Stafford Loan Limits
-- All Dependent Undergraduates --
  Maximum Subsidized Eligibility Unsubsidized Eligibility
Total Stafford Loan Eligibility
Freshmen   $3,500 $2,000 $5,500
Sophomores   $4,500 $2,000 $6,500
Juniors & Seniors   $5,500 $2,000 $7,500
-- All Dependent Undergrads with a PLUS Denial & Independent Undergrads --
  Maximum Subsidized Eligibility Unsubsidized Eligibility
Total Stafford Loan Eligibility
Freshmen   $3,500 $6,000 $9,500
Sophomores   $4,500 $6,000 $10,500
Juniors & Seniors   $5,500 $7,000 $12,500



Subsidized / Unsubsidized Stafford Loan

Additional Unsubsidized Stafford Loan

Program Description

  • For subsidized Stafford Loans the federal government pays (subsidizes) the interest during in-school, grace, and deferment periods.
  • For unsubsidized Stafford Loans the interest which accrues during in-school, grace and deferment periods may be paid by the student or capitalized. Students are not required to make payments on Stafford Loans until after their in-school and grace periods are over.
  • These are loans that must be repaid.
  • The federal government does not pay (subsidize) the interest which accrues during in-school, grace and deferment periods.
  • The unsubsidized Stafford Loan can be borrowed in conjunction with a subsidized Stafford as long as the maximum annual or aggregate loan limit for Federal Stafford Loans has not been exceeded.
  • These are loans that must be repaid.


  • Eligibility for subsidized portions of this loan is need based.
  • Eligibility for unsubsidized portions of this loan are not need based but amounts borrowed must be within student’s cost of attendance.
  • Enrolled at least half time (6 credits or more)
  • Eligibility is not need based.
  • Independent students are eligible.
  • Dependent students whose parents are denied the Federal Parent PLUS Loan are eligible.
  • Enrolled at least half time (6 credits or more)

Lifetime Loan Limit

$31,000 for Undergraduates
(up to $23,000 can be subsidized for undergraduates)

$57,500 for Undergraduates
(up to $23,000 can be subsidized)

Interest Rate

Fixed at 3.4% for Subsidized Stafford Loans

Fixed at 6.8% for allUnsubsidizedStafford Loans

Fixed at 6.8% for all students


Begins 6 months after graduation or when the student drops below half-time.

Repayment Terms

Standard and Graduated -10 years; extended and income based up to 25 years. See


The net fee is .5%. There is a 1% fee on all Direct Stafford/Ford Loans disbursed after July 1, 2011. However, the Department of Education has authorized an up-front 0.5% interest rebate on all Federal Direct Stafford/Ford loans as a repayment incentive. This means all students receive this benefit now, while they are still in school.

The condition of the instant rebate is that the borrower must make their first 12 payments on time. If the borrower does not meet this requirement, the amount of the interest rebate is added to the principal of the loan during repayment.

How to complete the process

You cannot receive Stafford Loan funds until the FAFSA, MPN and Entrance Interview have been completed. The MPN is your promise that you will repay these funds. As of July 1, 2010, the federal government became the lender for all Stafford loans. All borrowers must have a Master Promissory Note (MPN) on file with the Department of Education. Students who borrowed Stafford loans at Fordham during the 2010-2011 academic year do NOT have to complete another MPN or Entrance Interview.   

You can confirm that Fordham has received your completed MPN and Entrance Interview by clicking on the Documents tab of the Financial Aid section of your my.fordham account.

Complete the Master Promissory Note (MPN)

Complete the Entrance Interview



Loan Disbursement Schedule

  • If you are attending the fall and spring terms, there will be two disbursements. Half of your loan will disburse at the beginning of the fall term and the other half at the eginning of the spring term.
  • If you are attending only the fall or spring term, there will be one disbursement at the beginning of the term and your total loan amount will be sent to Fordham in one payment.

 Your loan period should cover all the semesters you plan to attend.  

Stafford Loan Deferments

In-School Deferments are available for Subsidized and Unsubsidized Stafford Loans.* A deferment is a period in which repayment of principal and interest is postponed temporarily. During the deferment of a subsidized loan, the government pays the interest that accrues. For unsubsidized loans, you are responsible for the interest that accrues during the deferment period. Contact your lender for instructions on applying for a deferment.

To keep track of all the necessary steps, you may print and complete the application checklist for your records.

What academic year was this loan for?

Loan Period Enter # Credits Here:
Fall / Spring
Fall only
Spring only
Are you eligible for tuition remission? Yes No
Are you eligible for Full or Half tuition remission? Full Half
Have you in the past received a Tuition Assistance program (TAP) award?
Yes No

Federal Stafford Loan
Amount Requested:
  $   .00
Anticipated Graduation
Month, Year:
School of Enrollment
First Name:
Middle Initial
Last Name
Fordham ID #: A - -


I understand that it is my responsibility to apply for New York State’s Tuition Assistance Program (TAP) if I am a New York State resident. Non-New York State residents must apply for grants from their home state. Since financial aid is based upon data submitted on the FAFSA and this application, I agree to inform the Office of Student Financial Services in writing, of any changes in my information. I understand that the Office of Student Financial Services reserves the right to adjust my financial aid package on the basis of any new data received during the academic year. I certify that all the information provided on this form is true and complete to the best of my knowledge.

 I certify that I will use any financial aid received during this academic year solely for expenses related to my attendance at Fordham University for this current academic year.

 I understand I may decline the loan or request a lower amount by contacting Fordham University. This request form acts as my confirmation of the amount, that I would like my loan processed, dependent on my eligibility under federal guidelines. Additional information about my right to cancel or reduce my loan is included in the borrower’s rights and responsibilities statements and disclosure statements that have been or will be provided to me.




A paper version of the Fordham School of Professional and Continuing Studies and Gabelli School of Business Financial Aid Application is also available.

Site  | Directories
Submit Search Request