Advanced Certificate in Jesuit Studies
This hybrid program includes on-campus and online coursework.
The advanced certificate in Jesuit studies offers essential grounding in the spirit and practice of Jesuit history, pedagogy, and spirituality.
This program was developed with the goal of reaching out to lay collaborators, alumni, and others interested in Jesuit middle and secondary education, higher education institutions, parishes, and Jesuit social ministries. It focuses on Ignatian spirituality and history, and the program includes courses from biblical to contemporary periods, discernment, and the history of the Society of Jesus (Jesuits). This certificate requires a one-week (M-F) July immersive experience at one of Fordham's New York City campuses which involves seminars and excursions into the city.
Ideal for anyone working at a Jesuit institution or with Jesuits in various ministries, this certificate follows an adult education model, where a student's background and experience both inform and enhance each learning component of the program. Requiring only a bachelor's degree of any sort, the ideal student for this certificate is anyone longing to know more about the Jesuit context within which they work, worship, or relax.
- A broad and deep engagement with Jesuit history and Ignatian spirituality, exploring topics such as education, ministry (parish & international), art, and social justice.
- One week on campus in July, combining morning seminars with noted scholars in the field and afternoon excursions to Ignatian-related sites in New York City: museums, churches, and schools.
- Students who wish to continue can use the 18-credit certificate as the basis for a 36-credit M.A. in Christian Spirituality with a concentration in Jesuit Studies.
- Five courses may be taken online or on campus.
- A Sixth one-week (Monday-Friday) residential course in the Summer.
- Courses include Jesuit History, Spirituality, Discernment, and more. See the Jesuit Studies advanced certificate section of the Fordham academic bulletin for more detailed information.
- Jesuit middle, secondary, and higher education administrators and teachers.
- Jesuit parishes
- Jesuit social ministries
- Ignatian spiritual direction and retreat ministries
- Campus ministers
- Mission and Ministry positions
- Jesuit Boards of Directors