M.A. in Pastoral Studies
This program is offered online.
Combining a deep understanding of theology with practical ministerial skills, the M.A. in pastoral studies program prepares you to follow a variety of professional paths in ministry. This well-rounded, integrative program provides leadership formation to students from all Christian denominations and includes course offerings from all four of our core academic areas—spirituality, pastoral counseling, pastoral ministry, and religious education.
- Take courses from anywhere in the world with our online option; on-campus classes also are available.
- Teach and learn with our renowned faculty and international students from more than twenty countries.
- Take courses at the member schools of the New York Theological Consortium.
- Meet the requirements for pastoral ministers set out by the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops and the National Association of Lay Ministers.
- The curriculum requires satisfactory completion of 14 courses (42 semester credits).
A concluding capstone course is also required.
You may pursue the program either as a full-time or part-time student.
Pastoral leadership in various contexts, such as:
- Diocesan offices
- Faith-based and nonprofit organizations
This program is offered online or on campus.
The M.A. in pastoral studies program prepares leaders to serve the Church in parishes, diocesan offices, schools, hospitals and other faith-based organizations. Designed to meet the requirements for pastoral ministers set out by the USCCB and the National Association of Lay Ministers, courses in this program cover scripture, morality, and systematic theology. Courses also include offerings in all four academic areas of our School: Spirituality, Pastoral Counseling, Religious Education and Pastoral Ministry and provides a solid foundation for students seeking to follow many different career paths in ministry.