Skip to main content

Ride for Free

The Department of University Transportation is proud to offer free passes to students meeting certain qualifications.

Eligible students will automatically receive digital passes on a weekly basis throughout the academic year. For more information, including how to file a request for passes, please visit our blog. Please note that all pass guidelines, found below, are still in effect:

  • Passes are valid during all hours of operation, however, students are expected to use the passes only for the purpose for which they were distributed.
  • The Ram Van office is not responsible for lost or stolen passes.
  • Full-time employees of Fordham University are not eligible to receive free passes.
  • Passes are for the student who received them only. Any recipient of passes caught selling their passes will be reported to the Dean of Student Life and Security.

Passes for Class

If you are a resident in Fordham housing and take class (es) at an alternate campus, then you are eligible to receive free passes.

If you are a commuter student and take a class at more than one campus simultaneously, then you are eligible to receive free passes. Note: If you do not live in Fordham housing you are considered a commuter student, regardless of the proximity of your residence to any campus.

Professors who require their students to travel to destinations other than class (photography lab, museum, botanical garden research, etc.) must submit a signed memo on their department letterhead, detailing their students' exact travel needs in order to receive free passes. Professors can either email or mail said memo to the Department of University Transportation.

How to pick up passes if you qualify:

Eligible students will have passes automatically added to their account on a weekly basis. Pass balances, reservation history, and other services are available via our online reservation system. Please visit our blog for more info on free pass issuance and appeals. 

Passes for Internships

If you have a credit-bearing, unpaid internship at any location that is closest to a campus that you do not attend, you are eligible for free passes.

How to pick up passes if you qualify:

The office of Career Services distributes all internship passes. Please visit their offices at Rose Hill (McGinley 224) or Lincoln Center (140 W. 62nd, Room G49).

Passes for Clubs and Extracurricular Activities

  • Students who wish to participate in a club, excluding club sports, that does not exist or have an equivalent at her/his campus may receive free passes to attend scheduled meetings/events at the campus where the club exists.
  • Students who do not reside at Rose Hill, but have been approved by the Athletics Department to participate in a Club Sport, should have their travel expenses paid by Athletics or the team, depending on internal Athletic guidelines/policies. See the director of club sports for more information.
  • NOTE: Student groups traveling as part of a group/club function shall NOT be granted free passes, but instead, shall incur the cost of such travel out of the group’s budget as decided on by the group, subject to the by-laws of the Office of Student Involvement. In this case, groups wishing to utilize Ram Vans must charter a trip.
  • Free passes may be granted for students who wish to participate in intramural sports that do not exist at their home campus. (Such cases will be treated on a case-by-case basis).
  • NOTE: Students who work on a campus other than where they reside or attend class are not eligible for free passes, as they are compensated. Department managers who wish to provide tickets for their student workers may purchase discount books via budget expense.

How to Pick Up Passes if you Qualify:

  • For club participants: The moderator/advisor must submit a request via our pass request form. Requests made directly by students will be denied.
  • For Intramurals: Students who wish to participate in intramural sports that do not exist at their home campus should acquire a team schedule from the Fordham University Intramurals Office, and also a roster verifying the student's participation on said team. After obtaining both schedule and roster, the student can then bring this documentation to the Department of University Transportation in order to receive passes for the duration of the sports season.

Apply for Free Passes

Students who believe they are eligible to receive free passes for class should review our blog post on pass qualifications. They may then submit a Free Pass Request appeal form.

Students who believe they are eligible for club or extracurricular passes should request that the club advisor or coach submit a pass request form detailing their travel needs. These requests cannot be submitted by students.

Students who qualify for free travel to and from their internship should contact Career Services at their respective campus.

Intercampus Shuttle Links