Campus and Workplace Violence
At some point, you may find yourself in a dangerous situation on campus. If this happens, your first step should be to contact the Department of Public Safety.
Here are a few examples:
- If you are subjected to physical assault, threats, attack, sexual assault, robbery, or any other crime/offense
- If you see someone with any type of weapon
- If you hear unusually loud noises in your immediate vicinity (i.e., possible gunshot, fireworks, etc.)
A Public Safety supervisor will immediately respond to your location and take appropriate action to ensure your protection. Public safety supervisors are former law enforcement officers with extensive experience. They will also facilitate proper coordination with the law enforcement agency to provide police assistance.
Note: Never remain in an area where violence is taking place. Get to a safe location, notify the Department of Public Safety as soon as possible or call 911 for police response.
If you hear unusually loud noises:
- Evacuate the building/area if able to do so safely.
- Seek immediate safety in an area capable of being locked from the inside or barricade door.
- Silence all electronic devices and remain quiet.
- Immediately notify the Department of Public Safety when safe to do so.
- If possible, remain on the line with the Department of Public Safety or the 911 operator.
- Provide emergency personnel with as much pertinent information as possible.
- Do not confront or challenge the perpetrator.
- Remain as calm as possible.
- Follow instructions.
Remember that confrontations and threats should be taken seriously and could be a precursor to workplace violence. Sexual harassment of any kind can eventually lead to more serious conduct. Sexual harassment will not be tolerated within the University community. Our brochure on sexual harassment details the University's policy, provides information on what to do and where to go should such an event occur, and includes additional resources, if needed.
Department of Public Safety
Extension: 2222 or 5832
Phone: 718-817-2222 or 718-817-5832
Phone: 212-930-8888 or 212-636-6076
Phone: 914-367-3001 or 914-367-3333