Fire safety is important. Everyone should be observant and aware of every exit in any venue they enter.
As soon as you become aware of a fire:
- Pull the nearest fire alarm device or make sure an alarm has already been sent.
- Notify the Department of Public Safety (see numbers below).
- If fire occurs in your room, leave immediately and close the door behind you.
- Follow the directions of fire wardens, public safety personnel, resident assistants, or resident directors.
- Follow building evacuation directions. Never go to the roof.
- Exit quickly and move at least 200 feet away from the building. Do not remain in lobby or near entrances as first responders need access for their personnel/equipment.
- Notify fire wardens/public safety personnel of the location of anyone injured or with physical challenges still within the complex. If safe to do so, assist them to a secure location close to an evacuation stairwell.
- Never let fire get between yourself and the exit.
- Stay away from elevators. Use the stairs only.
- Stay out of smoke-filled rooms.
- Check doors before opening. If they are warm to the touch, do not enter.
Note: Extinguish a fire only if you are trained to use a fire extinguisher and an alarm has been sent.
If evacuation is not possible:
- Remain in place and keep the door closed.
- Call the Department of Public Safety, if possible to do so, and advise them of your exact location.
- Prevent smoke from entering your location by blocking openings. Use wet towels or clothing.
- Do not open or break the window glass unless absolutely necessary. Oxygen will intensify fire.
- If smoke is present in your room, remain close to the window. If possible, hold a wet towel to your face and stay low to the floor.
- Hang a white towel or bright clothing out a window to alert first responders.
Follow the directions from public safety personnel as heard on the public address system.
Department of Public Safety
Extension: 2222 or 5832
Phone: 718-817-2222 or 718-817-5832
Phone: 212-930-8888 or 212-636-6076
Phone: 914-367-3001 or 914-367-3333