Driver Certification Process
If you have determined that you are eligible to apply for certification, begin the process by competing the following steps. ALL steps below must be completed prior to driving 15-passenger vehicles without administrator supervision.
Please be aware that this process takes time, and the Department of University Transportation may not be able to immediately schedule appointments for road tests. We recommend beginning the process at least 1 month before you need to drive:
1. Read the Driver Certification Form to make sure you meet the requirements.
2. Complete the online Driver Certification Application. Note that this form requires you to upload a clear and readable photo of your Driver's License. A department representative will contact you in 3-5 business days regarding your application.
3. Once the online form has been completed and your driving record obtained, you will be contacted by an administrator to schedule a written and road test. This is based on the New York DMV drivring certification exam. Sample exams can be found at this site.
4. Print out a copy of the Department of Motor Vehicle Medical Condition Examination Form and fill out the top portion. Then schedule an appointment with the University Health Center or your own doctor and have the form completed.
5. Following the successful completion of both the written and road portions of the exam, you will be required to complete an online Defensive Driving Course (DDC) within one week. An access code will be provided by the administrator conducting your examination.