General eligibility requirements for the program are as follows:
- Be a U.S. citizen.
- Be 17 years of age by September 1st of the year starting college and less than 23 years of age on June 30th of that year. Applicants must not have reached their 27th birthday by June 30th of the year in which college graduation and commissioning are anticipated. Applicants who have prior active duty military service may be eligible for age adjustments for the amount of time equal to their prior service, on a month-for-month basis, for a maximum of 36 months, provided they do not reach their 30th birthday by June 30th of the year in which graduation and commissioning are anticipated.
- Be a high school graduate or possess an equivalency certificate (GED) by August 1st of the same year of anticipated entrance into the four-year NROTC Scholarship Program.
- Be physically qualified by Marine Corps standards.
- Have no moral obligations or personal convictions that will prevent conscientious bearing of arms, and supporting and defending the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign, or domestic.
- Have no criminal record of military or civilian offenses.
- Apply for and gain admission to an approved NROTC college or university. Admission to an NROTC institution is not required during the selection process; however, notification of admission must be received before the scholarship can be activated.
- Achieve a qualifying score on the Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT), Armed Forces Qualification Test (AFQT), or the American College Test (ACT). The SAT math and critical reading scores must be from the same and most recent test. Applicants cannot combine their best math and critical reading scores from the SAT to achieve the qualifying score for application. (Marine Corps Option only). SAT: 1000 Combination of Math and Critical Reading Only, ACT minimum combined score of 22 on the Math and English portions of the test, Armed Forces Qualification Test (AFQT): 74
- Students w/ more than 30 semester hours or 45 quarter hours of college credit upon application or students already enrolled in NROTC College Program are not eligible for four-year NROTC Scholarships; these students should see professors of naval science at host university's NROTC unit to discuss other scholarship opportunities
If these academic criteria cannot be met, other opportunities exist for an NROTC scholarship -- please contact your local Marine Recruiter or NROTC Unit.