ESL Visa Application Process
To apply for a student visa as an ESL student at Fordham, there are several steps. First, complete the IALC application form. Next, collect the appropriate documents required for an I-20 from the checklist below and submit them to our office. And finally, schedule an appointment at the U.S. embassy or consulate near you.
1. Complete the IALC Application.
You will need your basic contact information. Courses selected in the application process are not final. You will have opportunities to revise your class schedule with your academic advisor.
2. Apply for a Student Visa
** I-20 Application Checklist **
- A non-refundable $50.00 application fee submitted with your application.
- An Application for Certificate of Eligibility (AFCOE) completed and signed by the holder of the bank account. (The holder of the account may be the student or another person, such as a parent or sponsor.)
- An original bank statement/letter in English verifying that the required amount of money will be available for student use. See (AFCOE) for the minimum requirements. If room and board (meals) will be provided by a relative or friend, a notarized letter confirming the arrangement should be submitted.
- A photocopy of your passport identity page.
- Transfer students: If you are a transfer student, please submit a completed Fordham University transfer form and a copy of your current I-20.
Send all I-20 application documents to email@example.com.
3. Schedule an interview at the nearest U.S.embassy or consulate.
Your documents will be given to the Office of International Services (OIS), who will confirm details with you. Once the records are verified, the OIS will issue an I-20 and send you documents and information to schedule a visa interview at a U.S. embassy.
** Important Deadlines **
- I-20 application deadlines: Completed I-20 applications must be received no later than six weeks prior to the start of the semester or session when you wish to study.
- Late registration ends two weeks after classes begin in the fall and spring semesters.
- Late registration ends one week after classes begin in the summer sessions.
Contact us if you have any questions about the application process!