Ph.D. in Social Work Application Process
Are you prepared to be a leader of change in social work education and research? Apply for the Ph.D. in Social Work program at Fordham University. We encourage applications from individuals committed to a tradition of learning, service and social justice.
PrerequisitesApplicants must have:
- A master's degree in social work or related field.
- Cumulative undergraduate GPA of 3.0 or better.
- Graduate GPA of 3.5 or better.
Students are admitted in the fall semester only.
All application materials are due February 1.
Every application must include the following 10 elements.
- Completed application form.
- Statement of Career Activities and Plans. This brief essay should indicate why you are pursuing a PhD, explain your experience and scholarly interests, and state how the PhD curriculum will help you achieve your career goals.
- Undergraduate and graduate transcripts. Official transcripts from all undergraduate and graduate schools you attended are required.
- One academic reference.
- Two professional (employment) references. If you do not have two professional references, you may substitute a second academic reference for one professional reference.
- One personal reference.
- Complete Resume or CV.
- Publications, written reports and presentations. Please submit copies of your written work that demonstrates your capacity for doctoral study.
- GRE scores. Verbal Ability, Quantitative Ability and Analytic Writing scores are required.
- The school code for the Graduate School of Social Service is 2252.
- The PhD department code is 5001.
- Further information on the GRE exam can be found at the GRE website.
- Application fee. $75, payable by credit card on the online application page. If you must pay by check, please send a check payable to Fordham University to the address below.
We encourage you to submit all materials via our online application.
If you must send some items by mail, such as published work or a check, please send them to:
PLEASE NOTE: FORDHAM IS CURRENTLY CLOSED AND WILL NOT BE ABLE TO PROCESS HAND DELIVERED MAIL UNTIL THE CAMPUS RE-OPENS. PLEASE EMAIL US FOR MORE INFORMATION.
Fordham University Graduate School of Social Service
Office of Admission
113 West 60th Street, Suite 608
New York, NY 10023