BASW Application Requirements
In order to apply for the Bachelor of Arts in Social Work (BASW) major, you must:
- Be currently enrolled or accepted for matriculation at Fordham College at Lincoln Center, Fordham College at Rose Hill, or Fordham School of Professional and Continuing Studies.
- Complete approximately 50 credit hours.
- Fulfill most of the BSW program prerequisites.
- Ideally have an undergraduate GPA of at least 3.0 (on a 4.0 scale).
Students are expected to complete the 33 credits of the BSW program within two years, either on a full-time or part-time basis.
We also expect students to demonstrate such essential qualities as maturity of judgment, openness to new ideas, a capacity for developing self-awareness and readiness to change, an acceptance of differences in people, a commitment to social and institutional change, and values consistent with the mission of social work. Paid or volunteer work in social or civic organizations demonstrates the kind of motivation we look for in applicants.
Social Work Prerequisites
In order to further strengthen the liberal arts base and bio-psycho-social knowledge of students entering the social work program, the following prerequisite courses are expected to be completed before program admission:
- One sociology course
- One psychology course
- One biology course (with emphasis on human biology)
- One American pluralism course
- One course related to contemporary government or social policy in the United States
- SOWK 2600: Introduction to Social Work and Social Welfare (4 credits): This course provides an introduction to the values, knowledge, and skills of the social work profession. Focus is on the historical and contemporary roles and relationships of the social work profession to community problems, fields of practice, vulnerable populations, and social welfare history and policy.
Students may apply for admission to the Bachelor of Arts in Social Work (BASW) program after they have completed approximately 50 undergraduate credit hours and all of the prerequisite courses
Core Curriculum: Some of these prerequisite courses may also satisfy the requirements of Fordham’s core curriculum and/or the requirements of other majors and programs in the University.
Transfer Students: You must be accepted to Fordham University before your application to the BASW program can be reviewed. Substitution of courses taken at institutions other than Fordham University will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis.
Contact your faculty advisor or the Bachelor of Arts in Social Work (BASW) Program Director, Gregory Acevedo, Ph.D., via email at email@example.com or by phone at 212-636-6644.