Cultural Diversity in Death and Dying: A Social Work Perspective
March 22, 2018
6 p.m.- 8 p.m.
Fordham University Graduate School of Social Service
Lincoln Center Campus
113 West 60th Street
New York, NY 10023
Room 713 (7th Floor)
This goal of this class is to improve social workers’ cultural competency in end-of-life care. Objectives will be reached through exploration of participants’ own awareness of death and the impact of the dominant culture on biases in end-of-life care. Key aspects, such as language, family patterns, ethnicity, and spiritual assessment, will be examined as they affect decision-making and bereavement support.
- Explore how culture affects end-of-life care and advance care planning.
- Review the terminology associated with cultural competency.
- Best practices for completing a cultural, spiritual and culturally competent assessment of patient and family.
- Case narratives will be shared to highlight best practices in end-of-life care with different cultural groups
- Introspective activities will be introduced to explore participants’ own death awareness in relation to their culture and background.
Christine Kucinskis, ACH-P, LCSW-G has been a hospital and palliative care social worker for over 10 years. Prior to working in palliative care, she worked in geriatrics for six years. Christine has been a clinical social worker at MJHS since 2007. Her role includes working with challenging patients and families, clinical supervision of staff and students, and team management for an interdisciplinary team comprised of doctors, nurses, chaplains, creative arts therapists and volunteers.
Continuing Education Hours
Fordham University Graduate School of Social Service is a provider of social work continuing education hours, as approved by the New York State Education Department Board for Social Work.
Completion of these classes will result in the receipt of two (2) continuing education hours. CEHs are not awarded for partial completion of the class.
The price is listed below:
- Fordham GSS Alumni: $60
- Fordham GSS Students: $35
- Fordham Current Field Instructors: $35
- Other Students: $45
- Social Work Hospice and Palliative Care Network (SWHPN) Members: $60
- All others: $70
Refunds and Cancellations
In the event that the class is cancelled, a full refund will be given.
Keila Zapata-Kelly, MSW, CASAC-T
Administrator of Continuing Education & Social Work Licensure